No subject

Sun Mar 27 01:15:07 CET 2016

Some amazing news on the soil science front. Humus doesn't exist. Several
recent articles are showing that humic and fulvic acids and many of the
other humic components of soil are artifacts of the alkaline treatment that
is used to measure humus content, and don't, in fact, exist in untreated
soil. When OM is measured using non-destructive methods such as NMR
spectroscopy, no humic compounds can be found. Organic matter does not
degrade into "stable" humic components, it simply decomposes into a
continuum of smaller and smaller carbon compounds. There is constant, slow
turnover of carbon in soils, not a semi-permanent trapping of carbon into
"humus." Humus, meaning a stable form of carbon visualized by alkaline
extraction, seems not to exist. It's an artifact of the lab method. This is
kind of blow-away news for those of us who teach soil science--and it's a
good lesson on how the methods we use determines what we see. Teachers,
start revising how you teach soils, and stop talking about humus.

Most of the articles on this are behind journal paywalls, but some of the
abstracts are available. One article is Lehmann, J.; Kleber, M.
(2015-12-03), "The contentious nature of soil organic matter", Nature
528:60-68. There is a short video based on that article linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n6emCNEmKg
--
*In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and
change the problematic model /* *You create a new model and make the old

--001a11c1302258bc8b0532a5590b

mily:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px">I usually wouldn&#39;t post=
 this sort of thing on here but thought this was a sufficiently monumental =
piece of information to merit doing so...=C2=A0</p><p style=3D"margin:0px 0=
px 1em;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-family:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;font-size=
:14px">From a post by Toby Hemenway on FedBook:<br></p><p style=3D"margin:0=
px 0px 1em;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-family:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;font-=
size:14px">Some amazing news on the soil science front. Humus doesn&#39;t e=
xist. Several recent articles are showing that humic and fulvic acids and m=
any of the other humic co<span class=3D"" style=3D"display:inline">mponents=
 of soil are artifacts of the alkaline treatment that is used to measure hu=
mus content, and don&#39;t, in fact, exist in untreated soil. When OM is me=
asured using non-destructive methods such as NMR spectroscopy, no humic com=
pounds can be found. Organic matter does not degrade into &quot;stable&quot=
; humic components, it simply decomposes into a continuum of smaller and sm=
aller carbon compounds. There is constant, slow turnover of carbon in soils=
, not a semi-permanent trapping of carbon into &quot;humus.&quot; Humus, me=
aning a stable form of carbon visualized by alkaline extraction, seems not =
to exist. It&#39;s an artifact of the lab method. This is kind of blow-away=
 news for those of us who teach soil science--and it&#39;s a good lesson on=
 how the methods we use determines what we see. Teachers, start revising ho=
w you teach soils, and stop talking about humus.</span></p><div class=3D"" =
style=3D"display:inline;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-family:helvetica,arial,san=
s-serif;font-size:14px"><p style=3D"margin:0px 0px 1em">Most of the article=
s on this are behind journal paywalls, but some of the abstracts are availa=
ble. One article is Lehmann, J.; Kleber, M. (2015-12-03), &quot;The content=
ious nature of soil organic matter&quot;, Nature 528:60-68. There is a shor=
t video based on that article linked below.</p><p style=3D"margin:0px 0px 1=
em"><a href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-n6emCNEmKg">https://www.y=
e an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problemati=
c model /</i>
<i>You create a new model and make the old one obsolete /</i>
<i>That, in essence, is the higher service to which we are all being called=

--001a11c1302258bc8b0532a5590b--