[soilhack-announce] Hello and soil related events

Darren darreno at openmailbox.org
Sat Jul 11 16:28:15 CEST 2015

Hello,

Earlier in the week we sent out emails to people who had expressed an
interest in SoilHack or who we thought may be interested.  If you didnt
receive it you may like to check your email SPAM folder (apparently some
people found our mail there) or have a look at the SoilHack wiki which
also explains what is going on with SoilHack.

http://farmhack.org/wiki/soilhack-wiki

Here is our current list of soil related events in the UK or available
over the internet, a few of them you may recognize from the wiki.

If you have any more please share them by replying to this mail.

FREE 4 week online course on soil science
started Mon 6th July - but you could jump in now and catch up
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/soils

Soil Culture
at Create, Bristol
http://www.touchstonecollaborations.com/soil-culture-create - art
exhibition about soils, with free events on Saturdays, running until
22nd August http://www.touchstonecollaborations.com/soil-culture-create/

Soil Biodiversity: How to Explore and Utilise Life in Soils?
Event date:
Thursday, July 16, 2015
Event venue:
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire UK
Exploring the challenges and advances in the study of soil microbes, the
interactions between plants and soil, and how findings can be used to
benefit humans and the environment.
http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/events/soil-biodiversity

Regenerative Agriculture courses with Jairo Restrepo
Ragman's Lane Farm, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire.
http://www.ragmans.co.uk/home/news
Three courses, running between July 18th-25th: one 5 day, two one day,
including a more affordable one
http://www.ragmans.co.uk/learn_with_us/ragmans_courses/applied_agroecology_workshop_id_59/

Building UK Soils with the Soil Association
Wednesday 22 July 2015, 2pm-3.20pm (followed by refreshments) Biomedical
Science Conference Room, Alfred Denny Building, The University of Sheffield
http://grantham.sheffield.ac.uk/soil-association/

Soil Matters  Panel Breakfast at The Royal Welsh Agricultural Show 2015
22 July 8.30am  11am
Royal Welsh Showground
All Royal Welsh Show attendees are welcome to attend this free event.
You do not need to register, but you will need to purchase a ticket to
the Show to access the venue.
http://www.fao.org/soils-2015/events/detail/en/c/296945/

Optimising Output: Soil & Grass
28 July 2015 14:00  17:00
Nethy Bridge near Grantown-on-Spey
A practical afternoon on farm looking at soil, grassland and nutrient
management for optimum productivity and utilisation.
Booking is required as spaces are limited
http://www.soilassociation.org/scotland/newsandevents/articleid/8055/optimising-output-soil-grass

Free Webinar: Using Biochar as a Tool for Restoration!
Tuesday July 28, 2015
Time: 12 pm  1 pm MST (thats 7 pm and 8 pm UK time)
Chris Peltz, Soil Scientist and Darren McAvoy, USU Forestry
Extension Associate
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg40140.html

Soil Resilience and Global Change - SEESOIL Event
Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Forest Research, Alice Holt, Surrey UK
http://soils.org.uk/event/519

Public Lecture (with video streaming)
Prof. Jane Rickson of Cranfield University
http://nrn-lcee.ac.uk/future-lectures.php.en

World Soil Day
5 December
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Year_of_Soil

Also this free presentation/networking event in Brussels may be of interest

"SmartSOIL: Sustainable soil management aimed at reducing threats to
soils under climate change"
http://smartsoil.eu/smartsoil-final-conference-30-sept-2015/

There area also more international events listed at
http://soils.org.uk/calendar/month
and
http://www.fao.org/soils-2015/events/en/

Best