[ProU] Tle enough for the ra

Grev Colligan synchromesh en avalex.com
Dom Mar 28 16:35:23 CEST 2010

This will be the case. But the proportion of success will far outweigh
the fraction of failure, and when the
profits and losses of the scheme came to
be balanced year by year we have no doubt that socially, physically,
morally and financially we shall be able to show so
enormous a gain that the most unreasonable of our critics will

be silenced.
And yet when we come face to face with the details of the scheme,
we find that the scale of our operations must necessarily depend on the
amount of capital with which
we are able
to start. The City Colony, with its Labor Bureau, Labor Yards, Food
Depots, Prison and Rescue Homes, and Salvage Brigade, will involve a
considerable initial expense. Although we are able to supply
an efficient supervising staff for a mere fraction of the ordinary
cost,--rents

of land and buildings will have to paid. And although work will be
exacted from those who resort to our Yards and Homes, yet the supply of
food to the large

numbers who are likely to need our help will at the outset probably cost
us more than we are able to

recover from the sale of the goods produced. The Country Colony, with
its Industrial Villages, Suburban Farms, and Waste Settlements, will
involve a still heavier outlay of capital. There
is every reason to believe that we may look

for an ample return. Indeed the financial prospects
of this branch of the scheme are more hopeful than these of the City
Colony. But to commence
on a large scale will involve no doubt a proportionate expenditure. We
may hope indeed that Government, Native
States and private landowners will generously assist us to ov