[Pppehrserver-users] , the Colonel, in a doleful way, would allude to my lamenta

Kouri Escuriex grimmest at haze.nu
Wed Aug 26 19:40:26 CEST 2009

Y, ugly-visaged black who had been whipped, by Madam P----'s order, the
day before. "Sam," said his master, "I shall be gone some days, and I
leave the field-work in your hands. Let me have a good account of you
when I return." "Yas, massa, you shill dat," replied the negro. "Put
Jule--Sam's Jule--into the woods, and see that she does full tasks,"
continued the Colonel. "Haint she wanted 'mong de nusses, massa?" "Put
some one else there--give her field-work; she needs it." On large
plantations the young children of the field-women are left with them
only at night, and are herded together during the day, in a separate
cabin, in charge of nurses. These nurses are feeble, sickly women, or
recent mothers; and the fact of Jule's being employed in that capacity
was evidence that she was unfit for outdoor labor. Madam P----, who was
waiting on the piazza to see us off, seemed about to remonstrate against
this arrangement, but she hesitated a moment, and in that moment we had
bidden her "Good-bye," and galloped away. We were soon at the cabin of
the negro-hunter, and the coachman, dismounting, called him out. "Hurry
up, hurry up," said the Colonel, as Sandy appeared, "we haven't a moment
to spare." "Jest so--jest so, Cunnel; I'll jine ye in a jiffin," replied
he of the reddish extremities. Emerging from the shanty with provoking
deliberation--the impatience of my host had infected me--the clay-eater
slowly proceeded to mount the horse of the negro, while his
dirt-bedraggled wife, and clay-encrusted children, followed close at his
heels, the younger ones huddling around for the tokens of paternal
affection usual at parting. Whether it was the noise they made, or their
frightful aspect, I know not, but the horse, a spirited animal, took
fright on their appearance, and nearly broke away from the negro, who
was holding him. Seeing this, the Colonel said: "Clear out, you young
scare-crows. Into the house with you." "Th