[Pppehrserver-legal-eu] {Spam?} ter I've delive

Mercado marrying at hi-gain.de
Sat Mar 20 21:49:55 CET 2010

Acular--" "I know all that. Don't mind." "You knew it?" For the first time she looked at him, but she turned her eyes away at once and stared at the oblong of dark framed by the window.

"Why--" "Spaulding
told me to-night only." "Mother told me a week or so ago. She'd been recognized. Shortly after I married,
when she found out how the women played bridge and poker here, she made me promise I'd never
touch a card, never play any sort of gambling game. I promised
readily enough, and I thought nothing of her insistence. Maman was old-fashioned in many ways--I mean the life

we lived in. Rouen was so different from this that I could understand how many things would shock her. I never thought about it--but--it was about six months ago--you

were away for a week and I stayed with Polly Roberts

at the Fairmont. I knew of course that she played and that Aileen and a lot of the others did, but I hadn't given the matter a thought. One heard nothing but bridge, bridge, bridge. I was sick of the word. "But I found they played poker. Polly and Aileen, Alice Thorndyke, Janet Maynard, Mary Kimball, Nick Doremus, Rex and one or two other men who could get off in the afternoons. "I never
had dreamed
any one in society played for such high stakes. Janet Maynard and Mary Kimball could afford it, but Polly and Alice and Aileen couldn't. Still they often won--enough, anyhow, to clean up and
go on. Doremus is a wonderful player. That is how I got interested,
watching him after he had explained the game to me. "It was

a long time before I was persuaded

to take a hand. It was so interesting just to
watch. And not only the game, but their faces. Some
would have a regular 'poker face,' others would

give themselves away. Once Aileen had the most awful hysterics.
We were afraid some one outside

would hear her; the deadening was burnt out of the walls of the Fairmont at the time of the fire. But we were in
the middle room of the suite. "Nick told her in
his dreadful cold expressionless
voice that if she ever did that again he'd never play another game with her. That meant that they'd all drop her, a