[Pppehrserver-legal-eu] : Worcester assaulted.] Afterwards comming to Worcester, they assaulte

Aerts Pugmire burne at jinhwa.net
Thu Apr 22 07:09:59 CEST 2010

Ld be for life, incouraging the shipmaster with these words, "that he
neuer heard as yet of anie king that was drowned." Thus passing the
seas, he landed in Normandie, where he gathered his power, and made
towards Mans. When those which
held the siege before the citie, heard of his approch, they brake vp
their campe and departed thence: [Sidenote: Mans deliuered
from an asseege.] howbeit, the capteine named Helias, that pretended by
title

and right to be earle of Mans, was taken
by a traine; and brought before the king, who
iested at him, as though he had beene but a foole and a coward.
[Sidenote: Helias.] Wherevpon, the said Helias kindled in wrath,
boldlie
said vnto him; "Whereas thou hast taken
me prisoner, it was by meere chance, and not by thy manhood: but if
I were at libertie againe, I would so

vse the matter with thee, that thou shouldest not thinke I were a man
so lightlie to be laughed at." "No should (saith the king); Well then I
giue thee thy libertie, and go thy

waies, doo euen the worst that lieth in thy power against me, for I
care not a button for thee." Helias being, thus set at libertie, did
nothing after (to make anie account of) against the king, but rather
kept himselfe quiet. [Sidenote: _Hen. Hunt._ _Polydor._] Howbeit some
write, that he was not taken at all, but escaped by flight. To proceed
king William being
returned into England, and puffed vp with pride of his victories, and
now seeing himselfe fullie deliuered from all troubles of warre, began
after his old manner to spoile and wast the countrie by vnreasonable
exactions, tributes and paiments. [Sidenote: Variance betwixt the king
and the archbishop Anselme.] Herevpon fell a great controuersie
betweene Anselme and the king, who pretended
a reproch of cruell surcharging
of his commons with su