[Pppehrserver-legal-eu] Lasco, "I talk to my violin sometimes like th

Gavett enforces at adpz.fr
Tue Sep 1 09:30:03 CEST 2009

Tter, Monsieur, believe me. I will work so hard, and my voice will come
back in time after--" She gazed at him and a mist came over her eyes.
"Do take me," she said, "I beg you to take me--I beg you." The
Kapellmeister passed his hand over his face: "Tschut, child!" he said,
"What are you talking about? Be quiet now and sing this as I tell you.
You have heard it before?" "Yes, I have heard it." "And sung it perhaps
with Helmanoff?" "Yes--Monsieur." He handed her the score, running his
fingers over the bird motive of 'Siegfried,' giving her the key. Then he
leaned back again and folded his arms. Kaya gave her head a little
backward movement as if to free her throat, and threw off the cloak,
standing straight. [Illustration: Fragment of "Siegfried"] The tones
came out like the sound of a flute, high and pure; they rose in her
throat, swelling it out as she sang, pouring through the arch of her
lips without effort or strain. "Bravo!" cried the Director, "Um Himmel's
Willen, child, you have a voice like a lark rising in the meadows, and
you sing--Bravo! Bravo!" He put out his hands and took the girl's
trembling ones into his own. "You will take me?" she said, "You see,
when I am not so nervous it will go better." The Kapellmeister laughed
and took a card out of his pocket: "Write your name here," he said,
"Your real one. I won't tell--and your address." Kaya drew back
suddenly: "I live in the mill," she said, "You know, the Nonnen-Muehle
by the promenade? You won't let any one know, will you, Monsieur,
because--" "Are you afraid of spies, child? Tut,