[Pppehrserver-ehr-general] With Humboldt in his "Cosmos, " Macaulay in his "En

Gerrits patronne at leverage.fm
Fri Aug 21 08:57:21 CEST 2009

Ey abandoned the enterprise for that time, and quietly stole back to our
lines. Had an engineer then been along, they would, in all probability,
have been successful, as the obstacles which afterward defeated us did
not then exist. Our camp had been moved onward from Murfreesboro' to
Shelbyville, which is a beautiful little city, situated on Duck river.
We camped above the town, in a delightful meadow. It was Sabbath, the
6th of April, and the earliness of the clime made the birds sing, and
the fields bloom with more than the brilliancy of May in our own
northern land. Deeply is the quiet of that Sabbath, with the green
beauty of the warm spring landscape, pictured on my mind! An impression,
I know not what, made me devote the day to writing letters to my
friends. It was well I did so, for long and weary months passed ere I
was permitted to write to them again. But while the day was passing in
such sweet repose with us, it was far different in another army; that
was the day on which Grant was surprised by Beauregard, and only saved
from destruction by the assistance of the gunboats. This, however, we
did not learn for several days after. On Monday, Andrews returned to our
camp. He had spent some time along the line of the Georgia State road,
and on his return reported to General Mitchel that the scheme was still
feasible, and would be of more advantage than ever. He, however, asked
for a larger detail of men, and twenty-four were given from the three
Ohio regiments then in Sill's Brigade. One man was detailed from a