[Linux-Poza Rica] that he did not even think of closing the doors of communication, and Scully l

Bloise Prusinski epicurism at woodies.ie
Sat Mar 27 08:19:54 CET 2010

 us two votes five years ago; you now only give us one. If Sir George
were to go up to the Peers, we should lose even that one vote; and
would
it be common sense in us to incur such a loss? Mr. Scully, the Liberal,
would return another Member of his own way of thinking; and as
for the Lords, we have, you know, a majority there." "Oh, that horrid
man!" said Lady Gorgon, cursing Mr. Scully in her heart, and beginning
to play a rapid tattoo with her feet, "that miscreant, that traitor,
that--that attorney has been our ruin." "Horrid

man, if you please, but give me leave to tell you that the horrid man
is not the sole cause of
your ruin--if ruin you will call it. I am sorry to say that I do
candidly think Ministers believe that Sir George Gorgon has lost his
influence in
Oldborough as much through his own fault as through Mr. Scully's
cleverness."
"Our own fault! Good heavens!
Have we not done everything--everything that persons of our station in
the county could do, to keep those misguided men? Have we not
remonstrated, threatened, taken away our custom from the
Mayor, established a Conservative apothecary--in fact, done all that
gentlemen could do? But these are such times, Mr. Crampton: the spirit
of revolution is abroad, and the great families of England are menaced
by democratic insolence." This was Sir George Gorgon's speech always
after dinner, and was delivered by
his lady with a great deal of stateliness. Somewhat, perhaps, to
her annoyance, Mr. Crampton only smiled,
shook his head, and said-- "Nonsense, my dear Lady Gorgon--pardon the
phrase, but I am a plain old man, and call things by their names. Now,
will you let me whisper in
your ear one word of truth? You have
tried all
sorts of remonstrances, and exerted yourself
to maintain your influence in every way, except the right one, and that
is--" "What, in Heaven's name?" "Conciliation. We know your situation
in the borough. Mr. Scully's whole history, and,
pardon me for saying so (but we men in office know everything),
yours--"
Lady Gorgon's ears and cheeks now assumed
the hottest hue of crimson. She

tho