[Linux-Poza Rica] It himself--openly avowing that he did not consider

Dacanay antecedent at tinou.org
Mon Aug 31 02:48:55 CEST 2009

A good figure, rather inclined to embonpoint, and a certain springiness
in her walk, and a jauntiness in her air, that are ever sure attractions
to a sub in a marching regiment. She can play backgammon, and sing "di
tanti palpiti," and, if an Irishwoman, is certain to be able to ride a
steeple-chase, and has an uncle a lord, who (en parenthese) always turns
out to be a creation made by King James after his abdication. In
conclusion, she breakfasts en papillote--wears her shoes down at
heel--calls every officer of the regiment by his name --has a great
taste for increasing his majesty's lieges, and delights in London
porter. To this genus of Frow I have never ceased to entertain the most
thrilling abhorrence; and yet how often have I seen what appeared to be
pretty and interesting girls fall into something of this sort! and how
often have I vowed any fate to myself rather than become the husband of
a baggage-waggon wife! Had all my most sanguine hopes promised
realizing--had my suit with Lady Jane been favourable, I could scarcely
have bid adieu to my bachelor life without a sigh. No prospect of future
happiness can ever perfectly exclude all regret at quitting our present
state for ever. I am sure if I had been a caterpillar, it would have
been with a heavy heart that I would have donned my wings as a
butterfly. Now the metamorphosis was reversed: need it be wondered if I
were sad? So completely was I absorbed in my thoughts upon this matter,
that I had not perceived the entrance of O'Leary and Trevanion, who,
unaware of my being in the apartment, as I was stretched upon a sofa in
a dark corner, drew their chairs towards the fire and began chatting.
"Do you know, Mr. Trevanion," said O'Leary, "I am half afraid of this
disguise of mine. I sometimes think I am not like a Pole; and if she
should discover me"-- "No fear of that in the world;