[P2P-F] Re-igniting the p2p revolution (\0xDynamite)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:43:22 CEST 2022

Thanks for the update.

The list may be dead, but p2p and commons initiatives are still growing.

In terms of technical alternatives, there seems quite a bit available and
many people have left mainstream social media, think of Urbit for the
libertarians, Mastodon, etc ...

Urban commons have grown tenfold from 2006 to 2016, and the organizations I
work more closely with, are all growing at a brisk pace,

I think what has derailed some of the momentum is the polarisation in the
political and social movements, with various tribes going their own way,
using their own politically filtered platforms, with technical
centralization replaced by distributed moral censorship for the ideas of
the competing tribes.

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re-igniting the p2p revolution (\0xDynamite)

> This list is dead.  Either people didn't fully understand the
> potential of p2p networks or the need for it got magically sublimated
> into everyday capitalism.  Nah.
>
> But what happened to the revolution?  Where are the nerds and
> cyberpunks who wished to change the world?  Have they assimilated with
> their billion-dollar IPO jobs and climbing the new curve of
> exponential growth?
>
> The Internet under the standard client-server model has turned
> everyone, one again, into consumers.  The curve of GDP has gotten
> higher with its new access to these elite tools.  But it's a sinking
> ship.  Everyone knows this, deep down.
>
> An adult's cellular network generally becomes hierarchical with some
> sort of strict immune system code at the top, holding dominant beliefs
> about the world forming a sort of religious order which is called
> their "ego".  People come to identify with this and protect it.
>
> A child's cellular network acts more like a p2p network -- each is
> equal in a mind that has no religion.  The attitude is "whatever
> works" and, internally, "whoever can do the job".  Everyone else will
> protect themselves -- you don't need hierarchies of security,
> political correctness, or whatever new religion the world is
> demanding.
>
> Be like the child.
>
> Mark Janssen
>
> PS.  http://github.com/thePastor/Singularity

> End of P2P-Foundation Digest, Vol 136, Issue 1

Updates: ; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Curation of news on p2p/commons developments:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/p2p.open/