[P2P-F] Fwd: OM #4 | Can Co-ops Empower Patients and Homecare Workers?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:52:29 CEST 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ownership Matters Newsletter <newsletter at ownershipmatters.net>
Date: Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 3:32 PM
Subject: OM #4 | Can Co-ops Empower Patients and Homecare Workers?
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Ownership Matters
Can Co-ops Empower Patients and Homecare Workers?
by Elias Crim, Editor
This issue:

   - June 15 Event: What Can Co-ops Do About Healthcare and Homecare?
   - The Break Room: Co-op Attorney Kathy Gregg on What the Movement Really
   Needs
   - Europe Report: Leo Sammallahti on the "Secret" of Finnish Cooperativism
   - Next Gen Entrepreneurship — Start.coop Event, June 18
   - MEDLab: Colorado News Conservancy Convo
   - Call for Applicants: Fund Manager Fellowship from Purpose

Not yet a subscriber? Sign up
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLm93bmVyc2hpcG1hdHRlcnMubmV0&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A62>
— it’s free.
image: Hush Naidoo
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ1bnNwbGFzaC5jb20lMkZwaG90b3MlMkZ5bzAxWi05SFFBdw==&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A89>
What Can Co-ops Do About Healthcare and Homecare?

"One of America’s most corrupt and ineffective systems" is the way Dave
Chase
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZoZWFsdGhyb3NldHRhLm9yZyUyRg==&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A90>,
a community-minded healthcare CEO and author, recently described our
"out-of-control" largest sector (now one-fifth of our entire national
economy) and its growing toll on Americans.

In his new book, *Relocalizing Health* (free PDF available here
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZoZWFsdGhyb3NldHRhLm9yZyUyRmZyaWVuZHMlMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A91>),
he further argues that the COVID-19 tragedy was nothing less than a wake-up
call. The future of healthcare, he concludes, must be "local, open, and
independent." Healthcare must be "relocalized."

Chase’s prescriptions might make some of us think naturally of co-ops,
which are organizations typically embedded in their local communities, open
(in membership), and resolutely independent.

And yet. . . . Given the size and sheer complexity of our national
healthcare system, it’s hard to imagine how even a large number of
healthcare-focused co-ops could make much of a dent in its many and growing
problems. What could a positive "disruption" look like?

Join us
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuY3Jvd2RjYXN0LmlvJTJGZSUyRmNvLW9wLXN0cmF0ZWdpZXMtaGVhbHRoY2FyZSUyRnJlZ2lzdGVyJTNGdXRtX3NvdXJjZSUzRHByb2ZpbGUlMjZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtJTNEcHJvZmlsZV93ZWIlMjZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ24lM0Rwcm9maWxl&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A92>
at *12:30 ET on Tuesday, June 15* as Ownership Matters, co-sponsoring
with Zebras
Unite
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ6ZWJyYXN1bml0ZS5jb29wJTJG&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A93>,
convenes three outstanding co-op leaders pursuing different approaches to
empowering home care workers and patients with chronic conditions.

Our panelists will be:

   -

   Deborah Craig, Cooperative Developer, Northwest Cooperative Development
   Center
   <https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZud2NkYy5jb29wJTJG&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A94>

   In addition to working for Circle of Life homecare in Bellingham, WA
   (before joining NWCDC), Deborah also helped develop Peninsula Homecare,
   Capital Homecare, and Ridgeline Homecare. As her NWCDC colleague John
   McNamara puts it, "if there is a ‘Washington Model’ for homecare co-ops,
   Deborah is the architect."
   -

   Jen Horonjeff, founder/CEO, Savvy
   <https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnNhdnZ5LmNvb3AlMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A95>

   Jen is the co-founder of Savvy, the first and only patient-owned public
   benefit co-op. Their platform connects patients to paid assignments with
   healthcare IT, medical device, and pharmaceutical companies seeking
   feedback from patients for product development.
   -

   Adam Rose, COO and Director, Obran Health
   <https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZvYnJhbi5vcmclMkZvYnJhbi1oZWFsdGg=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A96>

   Adam is the Director of Obran Health, a worker-owned home-based
   healthcare company. Obran Health is changing how care is delivered in the
   home and in outpatient settings by empowering and protecting caregivers.
   Obran Health’s primary businesses are in personal care, home health, and
   hospice care, building on a long legacy of worker owned co-ops.

Register for this free Crowdcast event here
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuY3Jvd2RjYXN0LmlvJTJGZSUyRmNvLW9wLXN0cmF0ZWdpZXMtaGVhbHRoY2FyZSUyRnJlZ2lzdGVyJTNGdXRtX3NvdXJjZSUzRHByb2ZpbGUlMjZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtJTNEcHJvZmlsZV93ZWIlMjZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ24lM0Rwcm9maWxl&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A92>.
A recording will be available after the event.
The Break Room: Informal Conversations about Work What the Movement for
Worker Ownership Really Needs, with Kathy Gregg

I think a lot of people mistake scalability for growth and that’s part of
why we aren’t getting where we want to go. I want to see more worker owners
and more worker cooperatives. Scaling will not grow coops and scalability
will not generate demand for more coops.

A substantive and substantial conversation with Kathy Gregg, a
Massachusetts-based business attorney, an advocate for worker-owned
businesses in her practice, a legal fellow with the Sustainable Economies
Law Center and founder of the new Co-op Law Lab, launching in July.

OM:

You’ve been a practicing corporate attorney in a wide variety of
specialties and industries for over two decades — startups to
billion-dollar enterprises. We met a few months ago when we both
participated in the Platform Cooperative Consortium’s second live online
course, offered by the New School and Mondragon Team Academy. It was 146
co-op enthusiasts from all over the globe — a fantastic experience.

KG:

Yes, that course was a tremendous opportunity! We should give a big
shout-out to Mondragon folks Jose Mari Luzarraga and Ana Aguirre for being
tireless program coaches and cat herders, and to Greg Brodsky, our US
cohort troop leader, for bringing warm cookies of encouragement to every
meeting. And Trebor Scholz, of course, for his relentless thought
leadership. I don’t think I’ve had a chance to ask you, what attracted you
to the course?

OM:

Just my own deep sense of ignorance about the topic, mostly!

KG:

I’d been puzzling over the platform cooperative construct and its potential
since attending "Who Owns the World?", the 2019 conference on platform
cooperativism at The New School. My advocacy for worker coops is based on
their potential to liberate labor from the "divine right of capital" to
extract profits from and control the lives of workers. I don’t see that
potential in other cooperative models. While other forms of cooperatives,
such as consumer and producer coops, can soften the harsh edges of
capitalism, they don’t structurally change the capitalist paradigm.

OM:

So where do platform cooperatives fit in?

KG:

I’m curious to see what kind of ownership model they will implement.
Capitalist platforms exponentially magnify riches and ruins. That’s why
they’ve attracted vast amounts of venture capital.

And that’s why they’ve been able to harm huge swathes of populations on
such an enormous scale that we’ve more or less been cornered into
surrendering. Can platform tech companies with their capacity for mass
exploitation be converted to engines of liberation? Or are we going to
merely replicate what I call brothel capitalism and end up owning the
markets at which we sell ourselves? What a privilege to explore these
issues with our course colleagues!

OM:

At the outset of the course, we were asked to write an essay about a class
topic that interested us. I wrote a little thing about how excited I was to
have a chance at collaborating with a global community. You, on the other
hand, knocked out a dense 5-page article that could have gone into the
Harvard Business Review.

KG:

Well then you were obviously the smarter one! It was a lot of work but I
knew the course would force me to walk the talk I always give my own
clients about the necessity of developing a comprehensive business plan.
And I highly recommend it to all cooperators and their advisors.

OM:

I want to talk about your striking article which was on "the meaning, value
and objective of scaling" for co-ops.

KG:

"How to scale" is a topic that has dominated much of the conversation and
work around cooperatives in the U.S. for the eight years I’ve been
involved, and I’m sure well before that. Meanwhile the meaning, value and
objective of scaling receives a lot less discussion in my experience.

I suspect that a lack of consensus on the "why" and "what" of scaling has
impeded some coordinated actions that might take place if we were clearer
about our objectives. Of course, I recognize there is no single best way
forward, or else everyone would already be on that road. For sure no one
has been slacking and progress has been made on a number of fronts.

Still, we need to acknowledge that worker cooperatives in the U.S. remain
"a fart in a hurricane" in the colorful words of a recent conference
presenter. And we need to ask why and what we can do differently.

OM:

We need to fall in love with the problem, as we were regularly reminded in
our platform co-op class, not with our solutions.

KG:

Exactly! I wanted to explore what value the concept of scalability at the
individual business level brings to the work of building a cooperative
economy.

What problems are we trying to solve and why? Are they real and pressing
problems that are preventing progress for a lot of people? If not, let’s
focus our energies elsewhere.
Read the rest: "What the Movement for Worker Ownership Really Needs"
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLm93bmVyc2hpcG1hdHRlcnMubmV0JTJGYXJjaGl2ZSUyRndoYXQtd29ya2VyLW93bmVyc2hpcC1tb3ZlbWVudC1uZWVkcy1zY2FsYWJpbGl0eS12cy1ncm93dGglMkYlMjNjb250aW51ZS1yZWFkaW5n&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A97>
Europe Report: Leo Sammallahti on the "Secret" of Finnish Cooperativism
We’re happy to welcome Leo Sammallahti as a new contributor, reporting on
European co-op and ownership news. He also writes at Mutual Interest Media
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cubXV0dWFsaW50ZXJlc3QuY29vcCUyRg==&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A98>
and is marketing manager for Coop Exchange
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZjb29wLmV4Y2hhbmdlJTJG&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A99>
.

According to the annual update for the World Happiness Report
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20lMkYyMDIxJTJGMDQlMkYyMCUyRndvcmxkJTJGZXVyb3BlJTJGd29ybGQtaGFwcGluZXNzLXJlcG9ydC1yYW5raW5nLmh0bWw=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A100>,
Finland has been ranked as the happiest country in the world — for the
fourth year in a row. (If you didn’t know, it turns out social happiness is
actually a measurable
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3b3JsZGhhcHBpbmVzcy5yZXBvcnQlMkZmYXElMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A101>
thing.)

Perhaps it’s no coincidence that the country is also widely viewed as
having the most cooperative economic system in the world. *An astounding
90% of the population are cooperative members, and more than half have a
membership in multiple co-operatives.*

OP Financial Group
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cub3AuZmklMkZvcC1maW5hbmNpYWwtZ3JvdXA=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A102>,
the leading bank and insurance company, is a consumer co-operative, as is
the largest retailer, S-Group
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZzLXJ5aG1hLmZpJTJGZW4=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A103>,
which dominates the grocery sector by having a market share over twice as
big as its next biggest competitor. Forestry has always been one of the
main export industries, and over half of the privately-owned forests belong
to the over 100,000 members of the Metsa Group cooperative
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cubWV0c2Fncm91cC5jb20lMkZlbiUyRlBhZ2VzJTJGZGVmYXVsdC5hc3B4&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A104>,
which is also leading the transformation towards environmental
sustainability by providing 16% of the renewable energy in the country.
S-Group is another major player in this area and has recently become the
largest producer of solar energy.

There are no definitive answers as to why this distant and small country
has provided such fertile soil to the cooperative movement, but looking at
the first seeds planted might offer some clues. The first cooperatives were
established in the late 19th century when the Russian Empire still
dominated the country. During this period, few Finns had accumulated wealth
over the generations while the elites consisted of Russians or Swedes, also
previous colonizers. To reach independence, the Finns needed to first
become economically self-sufficient. They soon realized that while
individually poor, pooling resources collectively through cooperatives was
the way to build economic power.

Cooperatives didn’t just build economic power. They also instilled
confidence among the people in their ability to govern themselves
democratically. Alongside trade unions, the cooperatives were laboratories
of democratic experimentation that reached a critical mass in 1906, when
Finland became the first country in the world to have a parliament where
everyone had an equal right to stand and vote in the elections. It took
another 11 years until Finland gained independence, but it could be that
becoming accustomed to democracy before anyone else played a role in the
success of the cooperative sector.
Read the rest: "The ‘Secret’ of Finnish Cooperativism"
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLm93bmVyc2hpcG1hdHRlcnMubmV0JTJGYXJjaGl2ZSUyRmV1cm9wZS1yZXBvcnQtdGhlLXNlY3JldC1vZi1maW5uaXNoLWNvb3BlcmF0aXZpc20lMkYlMjNjb250aW51ZS1yZWFkaW5n&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A105>
Start.coop Throws Graduation Party!

Better save June 18 for *Next Gen Entrepreneurship,* Start.coop’s
celebration of this year’s cohort. It will be almost an entire day (11 AM
to 5:30 PM ET) of entrepreneur- and investor-led panels, workshops, and a
final pitch party in which attendees get to vote on a $10K award.

Some workshop topics:

   - Could platform co-ops be the antidote to extractive tech?
   - Next gen cooperatives by and for the Black Community
   - The rise of cooperatives in the green economy
   - How might cooperatives transform the gig economy?
   - Co-op as the future of health and well-being
   - Can mutual aid and cooperatives solve the child care crisis?
   - What role can cooperatives play in the rapidly-shifting media
   landscape?
   - When Zebras go co-op
   - Investing in Cooperatives 101

Tickets for this event are sold on a pay-what-you-can basis. Equity Passes
are available for BIPOC and LGBTQ persons. Financial assistance regardless
of identity is provided thanks to Capital Impact Partners, and student
passes are funded by the Cooperative Fund of New England.

Register and find further info here
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuZXZlbnRicml0ZS5jb20lMkZlJTJGbmV4dC1nZW4tZW50cmVwcmVuZXVyc2hpcC10aWNrZXRzLTE1NjA5MjQ3OTgwOQ==&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A82>
.
How Colorado Wants to Save Local News

Is all the news you're reading about local news *bad?* Not if you live in
Colorado.

If you missed the CU Boulder-MEDLab’s recent webinar on the big news of the
arrival of the Colorado News Conservancy
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZjb2xvcmFkb25ld3Njb25zZXJ2YW5jeS5jb20lMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A106>,
it’s been posted here
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZhcmNoaXZlLm9yZyUyRmRldGFpbHMlMkZjY20tY29sb3JhZG8tc3Vu&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A107>.
The Conservancy is to be majority-owned by the journalist-owned,
online-only Colorado Sun. The deal was financed through impact investment
funding from FJC, the Gates Family Foundation, the Colorado Trust, and the
American Journalism Project, in a first-of-its kind model.

Most importantly, this new organization is *helping keep 24 Colorado
newspapers stay locally-owned,* an accomplishment which we can only hope
has national reverberations.

With MEDLab director Nathan Schneider acting as moderator, the panelists
include:

   - Melissa Milios Davis, Gates Family Foundation
   <https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZnYXRlc2ZhbWlseWZvdW5kYXRpb24ub3JnJTJG&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A108>
   - Lillian Ruiz, National Trust for Local News
   <https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cubmF0aW9uYWx0cnVzdGZvcmxvY2FsbmV3cy5vcmclMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A109>
   - Larry Ryckman, Colorado Sun
   <https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZjb2xvcmFkb3N1bi5jb20lMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A110>

To receive regular announcements of MEDLab news, subscribe to their
newsletter here
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZsaXN0cy5jb2xvcmFkby5lZHUlMkZzeW1wYSUyRnN1YnNjcmliZSUyRm1lZGxhYi1hbm5vdW5jZQ==&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A111>.

Call for Applicants: Fund Manager Fellowship Opportunity from Purpose
Foundation — Deadline July 1

Purpose Foundation
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cucHVycG9zZS11cy5jb20lMkY=&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A112>
works with businesses, community leaders, and investors to develop
radically more equitable stakeholder ownership, governance, and financing
forms. Here’s their description of the fellowship opportunity:

We’re looking for inventive, diverse, intelligent leaders who are actively
researching or setting up an innovative capital vehicle with a shared
ownership thesis. We aim to support those who seek to change the default
settings of power and money in our existing systems through inclusive
governance, community benefit, and long-term-oriented structures.

We are inviting leaders from across the U.S. to apply to the program. We
are especially interested in supporting projects innovating on shared
ownership funds, community real estate, new models for local economic
development, integrated capital vehicles, and mission-aligned debt
vehicles. We particularly encourage fund managers from underrepresented
communities to apply.

Applicants will receive:

   - 30k worth of pro-bono expert support from our team
   - Our internal database of materials (models, terms, transaction docs,
   etc)
   - Shared legal research budget (with for-profit, non-profit,
   cooperative, tax and trust expertise)
   - Cohort of funds actively in the market to share best practices and
   experiences with
   - Connection with aligned investors who can give candid feedback as
   development occur
   - Grant and/or catalytic investment capital raise support

Submission

For more information and to meet a team member, please book a time here:
https://calendly.com/purpose-us/fellowship
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZjYWxlbmRseS5jb20lMkZwdXJwb3NlLXVzJTJGZmVsbG93c2hpcA==&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A113>

To apply directly, please send a short (up to 2 page) abstract describing
project’s investment thesis, current stage of development, and key
challenges, along with bios of core team members, to fellows at purpose.ag
<fellowship at purpose.ag>.
Timing

Application deadline is July 1st, 2021. Programming and coaching will run
from September 2021 to September 2022.

Coming in Issue 5, June 29

   - The Power of Steward Ownership
   - Start.coop’s Greg Brodsky on How to Invest in Co-ops (Part 1)
   - Why You Should Care about Doughnut Economics

Article ideas? Submissions? Helpful suggestions?
Contact the editor: ecrim at ownershipmatters.net.

If the present issue’s been forwarded to you and you’d like to see this in
the inbox on a regular basis — the schedule is biweekly — *just visit the
site and sign up
<https://ownershipmatters.lt.acemlnc.com/Prod/link-tracker?redirectUrl=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLm93bmVyc2hpcG1hdHRlcnMubmV0&a=253320469&account=ownershipmatters%2Eactivehosted%2Ecom&email=a5UqKVuY6ZGhkPG81%2BHIuDpxdzkQNl9LgdxZ9pnzLRY%3D&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&i=13A26A2A62>.
It’s free.*

Meanwhile: *forward to a friend.*

Disclaimer: The content of *Ownership Matters* is for informational
purposes only. Such information should not be construed as legal, tax,
investment, financial, or other advice. Nothing contained in these
materials constitutes a solicitation, recommendation, or offer to buy, or a
solicitation of an offer to sell, any securities. Subscribers/readers agree
not to hold the authors, their affiliates or any third party service
provider liable for any possible claim for damages arising from any
decision made based on information published here.

Sent to: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

Unsubscribe
<http://ownershipmatters.activehosted.com/proc.php?nl=2&c=13&m=26&s=d9f5111fcfdcbe1dd4051a59ad144857&act=unsub>

Ownership Matters, a project of Community Cooperative, 1226 Vermont Ave,
Suite 200, Washington, DC 20005, United States

--
P2P Foundation: http://wiki.p2pfoundation.net <http://p2pfoundation.net>  -
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

Updates: ; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Curation of news on p2p/commons developments:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/p2p.open/