[P2P-F] Fwd: Right-wing Infiltrators Burn Minneapolis Hoping to De-legitimate African Americans' Struggle for Justice

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:24:31 CEST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tikkun & the Network of Spiritual Progressives <rabbilerner at tikkun.org

Date: Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 2:35 AM
Subject: Right-wing Infiltrators Burn Minneapolis Hoping to De-legitimate
African Americans' Struggle for Justice
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Right-Wing Infiltrators Burn Minneapolis Hoping to De-legitimate African
Americans' Struggle for Justice

by Rabbi Michael Lerner & Cat Zavis
[image: Justice for George Floyd and Breonna Taylor]

{You can read this article online here
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Ta94d3757-956d-436e-9b32-f70e0d36c4fb/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
.}

We at *Tikkun *and the Network of Spiritual Progressives stand in
solidarity with the protestors in Minneapolis and around the country
fighting a just and righteous struggle for the lives of Black Americans.
The killing of African Americans by police and others and the
disproportionate impact of Covid-19 on African Americans and all
communities of color are part of the ongoing legacy of slavery and systemic
racism that leads to state violence against black and brown people.

Our tradition teaches us that “one shall not stand idly by the blood of our
fellow humans.” Many police departments in this country have a strong
coterie of racist police. We are happy to see the police officers in a
variety cities across the country standing in solidarity with Black
protestors.
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T1800be29-574d-4ad0-b789-37dd6e03d154/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
Unfortunately, they are a minority. At a minimum, racist police officers
must be purged from the police departments and those in police departments
who are aware of and tolerate racism in their department and do not expose
and combat it must also be fired. In addition, every single police
department throughout the country should be supervised by a community-based
overseer board with a majority of African American activists.

*We need your support to bring the kind of analyses and information *Tikkun*
provides. *
*Click here
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T146626fa-37e4-4db4-8973-ee96370c331f/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
to make a tax-deductible contribution.*

The media has largely obscured the fact that much of the violent protests
are instigated by white neo-Nazis and nationalist extremists so as to
discredit the legitimate outrage of American Americans and their allies.
They instead portray the protests as African Americans destroying their own
communities and communities nearby. We stand in solidarity with the
protestors.

Please read the statement below by Minnesota State Attorney General Keith
Ellison, a long-time friend and supporter of *Tikkun*. He makes it clear
that the destruction and violence in Minneapolis is being coordinated and
led by outside agitators.

   - The full clip of the AG's remarks is on Twitter here (3:54):
   https://twitter.com/AGEllison/status/1266782943483215875
   <https://default.salsalabs.org/T1ae2bdbf-f246-4745-9802-89a31659910f/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>

*Statement from Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison*:

I’m going to be real clear: we need your help to comply with the curfew.
Straight up. Anybody’s unclear about what we’re asking for, that is what
we’re asking for.

Ok, why? Because the people who are trying to tarnish the reputation of the
noble protests for justice are out there trying to mix in with the crowd so
that people will just say, “Oh, look at all those folks out there are just
bad, their cause can’t be just, they’re just out there causing trouble.”

We know that’s not what’s happening. We know that the noble, just aims of
the protestors are righteous and good.

But we also know that some evil elements are literally interfusing
themselves with the protestors to destroy and cause arson so that the whole
community will have a low opinion of the protests. Because they’re not for
justice for Mr. Floyd, they’re against it. And they know that if we protest
righteously and peacefully and justly, public sentiment will rise up to
support our demands. So they want to stop that.

So we need people to help us get off the streets. You can go on social
media, you can protest there, you can do all these things. But to be on the
street after 8:00 means that we can’t get you separated from the bad
people. So we know you’re brave, we know you’re strong, we know you’d never
compromise on justice, we know you’re righteous, and we believe in what
you’re doing — but we need to be able to stop the burning and the looting
and the destruction.

We have some great leaders around this room. I know them all, love them
all. And I want to speak to the protestors: I love you. Many of them wanted
to be here today: when we called them, they said, “Hey, we’re with the
Governor, we believe in what you’re doing, but we’re on the streets trying
to restore order and raise the issue of George Floyd. So we can’t come in
because we’re on the street, but we want you to know we’re with you.” That
is a fact.

One officer has been arrested: charged with murder. It’s a preliminary
complaint, it’s still going on. As a lawyer, I can tell you: complaints are
amended, charges could be increased, there could be something added, there
might other people who will be charged as well, we’re at the beginning of
this. As a signal to you that we know there is probable cause to support
this complaint and the wheels of justice are moving, and now they’re moving
swiftly. But we need you to help us, make sure that justice is done.

And we know that yes, we will invest to rebuild to our communities. *What
in the world does burning down Migizi and Juxtaposition Arts on the
Northside have to do with justice for Floyd? Nothing!*

*I want to be clear: let the National Guard have the street after 8:00 so
that we can make sure that we restore order and build justice.*

*__*

*Rabbi Michael Lerner *is editor of *Tikkun* magazine and author of 12
books, recently *Revolutionary Love*. You can read more about the book and
order it here
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Ta7bda9cb-4a82-44cb-935d-fa252979e853/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
.

*Cat Zavis *is executive director of the Network of Spiritual Progressives
and a rabbinic student in the Aleph: Jewish Renewal ordination program. You
can learn about her trainings in spiritual activism here
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Tacfa6aca-6fc3-4385-8f2b-f40eefd0ee29/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
.

*Click below to share this article on the platform of your choice!*

*
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Tf52f3e27-5c89-41a3-8a00-7d91cc5c0108/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Tc58535e5-9d3a-4d84-abda-4601bef8f75d/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>*

*We need your support to bring the kind of analyses and information
*Tikkun *provides. Click
here
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T2d512d90-38f4-4c1d-9b19-f766d1701954/c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>
make a tax-deductible contribution.*
Contact Us

*Tikkun* & the Network of Spiritual Progressives
2342 Shattuck Ave #1200
Berkeley, California 94704
(510) 644-1200
magazine at tikkun.org
Unsubscribe
<https://tikkun.salsalabs.org/manage-your-subscription?eId=d87e212e-4ac3-48a4-84a3-e040a0c7c7b2&eType=EmailBlastContent&sId=c02a8189-8f6d-41ef-94fe-7ef8c2c49d3d>

--
P2P Foundation: http://wiki.p2pfoundation.net <http://p2pfoundation.net>  -
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

Updates: ; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Curation of news on p2p/commons developments:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/p2p.open/