[P2P-F] Fwd: Because of Facebook & Google, we need you more than ever

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 12:12:27 CEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Neal Gorenflo <neal at shareable.net>
Date: Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 3:04 AM
Subject: Because of Facebook & Google, we need you more than ever
To: Michael Bouwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

<https://www.sharingcities.net/r?u=PhRuiz4x_CuV-VTdUGsue13cPnOdv3cMWgT-yA4GpmA&e=ceceb67696e2ef7bae91b06758c2cd2a&utm_source=shareable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general_fundraiser_7_1_19&n=1>

Dear Michael,

After 10 years as a nonprofit, Shareable’s mission to empower people to
share is as important as ever -- if not more so. Increasingly,
international organizations like the United Nations and C40 recognize that
consumption patterns, not just vehicle and building emissions, are a major
contributor to climate change in cities and that sharing can dramatically
reduce consumption.

At the same time, it’s become a lot harder for Shareable to reach the
public online with our news reporting on sharing solutions. Over the last
few years, Google and Facebook, who now control over 70% of all web
traffic, made changes that have significantly reduced the reach of
countless websites, but perhaps especially independent media outlets like
Shareable.

*If you believe independent voices like Shareable matter, please make a
donation today.*
<https://www.sharingcities.net/r?u=jEwrsdSML4cvgLsZN8iFIHb47tWCnJwSMpAKE4sK35k5t0zl3GAE5nSJPAyzjB_O7rp9uyu6xtAl3M-u9ZSyy8s7-fZrVFTd0ZrWEdKIkKs&e=ceceb67696e2ef7bae91b06758c2cd2a&utm_source=shareable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general_fundraiser_7_1_19&n=2>

In Facebook’s case, they simply blocked access to around 90% of all page
owner’s fans including Shareable’s -- except if you pay for access. Google
has made many changes including ones that favor mainstream news sites. As a
result, scores of independent news sites like Shareable have been hurt.
Alternet, also an independent news nonprofit, sees these changes as a form
of censorship. I agree.

Shareable hasn’t sat idly by in the wake of these changes. We’ve adapted by
increasing the quality of our solutions journalism, hiring more experienced
journalists and editors, and transitioning our site to Wordpress, which has
excellent search engine optimization features.

Still, we can’t depend 100% on the web anymore. It’s clearly being enclosed
by Facebook and Google, so Shareable is using other mediums to further our
mission including our e-newsletter, hosting more events, and starting a new
podcast, “The Response”, which is also syndicated to over 140 radio
stations across the US, Canada, UK, and Australia. We’re also premiering
our first documentary based on “The Response” later this month in Oakland,
California.

This new strategy is starting to bear fruit, but the stark reality is that
it’s a lot more expensive than web publishing. *That’s why the support of
our readers is more important than ever. If you believe in independent
voices, if you believe in news about solutions, if you believe in the power
of sharing -- then please consider making a donation to Shareable today.*
<https://www.sharingcities.net/r?u=jEwrsdSML4cvgLsZN8iFIHb47tWCnJwSMpAKE4sK35k5t0zl3GAE5nSJPAyzjB_O7rp9uyu6xtAl3M-u9ZSyy8s7-fZrVFTd0ZrWEdKIkKs&e=ceceb67696e2ef7bae91b06758c2cd2a&utm_source=shareable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general_fundraiser_7_1_19&n=3>
Any amount is important to us because it says you stand with us. We believe
the world needs an organization like Shareable that relentlessly pushes
sharing forward. If you agree, please put your shoulder to the wheel with
us by making a donation today.

Thank you for all the good you do in the world,

Neal Gorenflo

P.S. In order to fund our work over the next 6 months, *we need 100 new
sustaining donors to commit to monthly support
<https://www.sharingcities.net/r?u=jEwrsdSML4cvgLsZN8iFIHb47tWCnJwSMpAKE4sK35k5t0zl3GAE5nSJPAyzjB_O7rp9uyu6xtAl3M-u9ZSyy8s7-fZrVFTd0ZrWEdKIkKs&e=ceceb67696e2ef7bae91b06758c2cd2a&utm_source=shareable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general_fundraiser_7_1_19&n=4>*.
Please consider the value that you receive from our work and make a
commitment to support it moving forward if you’re able.
- = - = -

Shareable · 487 Central Ave, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States
This email was sent to michelsub2004 at gmail.com. To stop receiving emails, click
here
<https://www.sharingcities.net/unsubscribe?e=ceceb67696e2ef7bae91b06758c2cd2a&utm_source=shareable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general_fundraiser_7_1_19&n=5>.

- = - = -