[P2P-F] Fwd: FW: In Memoriam Bernard Lietaer

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 11:10:49 CET 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Lewis <lewiscccr at shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 5:00 PM
Subject: FW: In Memoriam Bernard Lietaer
To: pat commonfutures <pat.commonfutures at phonecoop.coop>, John Restakis <
restakis at gmail.com>, Kevin Flanagan <kev.flanagan at gmail.com>, Michel
Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Thought you guys might want to see this tribute to Bernard.

*From: *Kathrin Latsch - MONNETA Newsletter <info at monneta.org>
*Date: *Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:20 AM
*To: *<lewiscccr at shaw.ca>
*Subject: *In Memoriam Bernard Lietaer

In Memoriam Bernard Lietaer - Monetary reformer,
innovator and pioneer of complementary currencies

Trouble reading this email?

View it in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/b2884486c408/monneta-newletter-damit-das-geld-uns-allen-dient-984989?e=9105a1c6c5>

[image:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548/images/08845a7e-44a5-40cc-b040-85ffb3d6fc25.png]
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=8218b31726&e=9105a1c6c5>

Dear friend,

[image:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548/images/a5615b76-1412-4ba6-863d-f03c89577a30.jpg]we
are mourning for Bernard Lietaer, who died from cancer on February 4th. He
was a friend, colleague and mentor to us for many years, who blessed us
with extraordinary insights and invaluable inspiration. Not only has the
world now lost the person with the most far-reaching knowledge about money,
but also a head and heart that knew how to design monetary systems for the
benefit of people. He was out to change the world of money for the better.
He knew that money is such a powerful instrument that determines not only
our economies but also our thinking. His enthusiasm for the topic never
faltered because "if there is a single instrument, that can be brought to
bear on all issues that we need to address to save mankind, it would be the
money system."

Fundamental terms like "complementary currency" and "monetary ecosystem"
are attributed to him and he kept saying: "Name a problem and I will design
a complementary currency to help you solve it." Margrit Kennedy wrote to
her friend and co-author of many years: "Your creativity, your
inexhaustible ideas on how to design, invent and transform money, simply
leave me in awe." Both of them were convinced, that diversity in currency
systems would be far superior for the benefit of people, the economy and
the planet than our singular money system, in which banks create money by
giving loans.

He suffered seeing how his ideas failed to be systematically implemented in
policy: Despite the many thousand local complementary currencies that were
launched in the past decades, he never received substantial recognition
within the conventional financial system. "I have lost my illusion that
having the solution is what matters. It's absolutely irrelevant." he
remarked to us in one of his last comprehensive video-interviews (2016)
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=786e7cec80&e=9105a1c6c5>.
And it pained him deeply that Greece never got the chance to issue a
national parallel currency. He was convinced, that the Greek people would
have been much better off, if they had their own second currency - much
like Britain has with the Pound - to be used alongside the Euro.

Bernard Lietaer was a great thinker with an unusual bright intellect,
enriching the lives of so many people. For us he stands in the line of
economist like S. Gesell, J.M. Keynes or N. Georgescu-Roegen. Isaac Newton
is quoted saying that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants and
hence can look further into the future. On the 7th of February Bernard
would have celebrated his 77th birthday. We will always love him and are
now standing on his shoulders, to continue his work and built a better
world.

Stefan Brunnhuber und Kathrin Latsch
February 7th, 2019

[image: monneta.org]
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=233b3618d3&e=9105a1c6c5>

monneta.org
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=83d97a9705&e=9105a1c6c5>

[image: Twitter-Kanal]
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=cda371d4bf&e=9105a1c6c5>

Twitter-Kanal
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=8a9e0d0e6d&e=9105a1c6c5>

[image: Video-Vimeo]
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=5abea66874&e=9105a1c6c5>

Video-Vimeo
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=bafa04b4b5&e=9105a1c6c5>

[image:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548/images/75096b2a-14a1-4fe7-b2e0-38141f7eaab5.png]

MONNETA is a charity registered in Germany. Please support our work.

*Donate now,*
*directly on our website:*
[image:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548/images/8c59bfd1-a810-475c-9df2-9eed0ba142a2.png]

[image:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548/images/972e5b93-915a-4de2-8311-31d71f50c175.jpg]

*Thank you!*

*Kathrin LatschDirector*

*More about Bernard Lietaer on MONNETA.org:*

*One of his last video interviews*
[image:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548/images/d772b6de-bb08-46c9-ad5b-a704ad0b3b52.png]

Watch on MONNETA.org →
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=4de4a3f38f&e=9105a1c6c5>

*"Money of the Future"*
Video feature with interviews from 2009
Watch on MONNETA.org →
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=8bcb31144d&e=9105a1c6c5>

*Lietaer as a founding member*
*of MONNETA*
Due to his many years of collaborating with Margrit Kennedy Bernard had
been a member of our network from the earliest beginnings
Read more →
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=cdf5778bbd&e=9105a1c6c5>

*© 2019 MONNETA gGmbH*

*Why did I get this newsletter?*

You have entered your email to the subscriber list on the English MONNETA
website: www.monneta.org/en or been in contact with Margrit Kenndey, Declan
Kennedy or somebody else from the MONNETA team and asked to be updated
about our work. If you do not want to receive any more emails from us,
please use the unsubscribe link below. Thank you.

Unsubscribe from our newsletter
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=f99c4091fb&e=9105a1c6c5&c=5bac7f2298>
  Update subscription details
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/profile?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=f99c4091fb&e=9105a1c6c5>

*Contact:*

MONNETA gGmbH

Ginsterweg 5

Steyerberg, 31595

Help us improve our work!
Please consider to send us your feedback and comments!
<info at monneta.org?subject=Anregungen%20zum%20Newsletter&body=Liebes%20MONNETA%20Team%2C>

This email was sent to lewiscccr at shaw.ca
*why did I get this?*
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/about?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=f99c4091fb&e=9105a1c6c5&c=5bac7f2298>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=f99c4091fb&e=9105a1c6c5&c=5bac7f2298>
    update subscription preferences
<https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/profile?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=f99c4091fb&e=9105a1c6c5>
MONNETA gGmbH · Ginsterweg 5 · Steyerberg 13595 · Germany

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&afl=1>

[image:
https://monneta.us10.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=5946820fbb88dd524bd7cc548&id=5bac7f2298&e=9105a1c6c5]