[P2P-F] Fwd: New interview, new partnership, Spotify, and more!

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Oct 30 21:52:09 CET 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Della & Robert (Upstream) <robert at upstreampodcast.org>
Date: Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 9:07 PM
Subject: New interview, new partnership, Spotify, and more!
To: <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

*You may have noticed that we were a little quiet this summer...well, we've
got some exciting new projects and announcements!*
*We just dropped the latest interview in our Conversation Series with Keith
A. Spencer on his new book, "A People's History of Silicon Valley."*
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=52097c772e&e=8827dae73d>
Listen Here
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=2fc7477de5&e=8827dae73d>

*The dark shadow of Silicon Valley is growing longer everyday, covering
more and more of the globe and spreading not just technology, but a
particular value set as well.*

By this time many know about the hyper-exploitative business models of
companies like Uber or TaskRabbit. Or about how AirBnB has heavily reduced
housing stocks in cities worldwide. But in his new book, *Keith A.
Spencer *goes
further than just picking on a few high profile companies. He lays out an
argument for why Silicon Valley, at its core, is a highly exploitative and
problematic industry. With a look at the tech world from the vantage point
of the marginalized and oppressed—those who have not benefited from the
incredible wealth bubbling up in the valley—*”A People’s History of Silicon
Valley: how the tech industry exploits workers, erodes privacy, and
undermines democracy,”* presents a damning thesis for why this new world of
addictive gadgets and union-busting is increasingly undemocratic and
dangerous.
We're also super stoked to announce our partnership with Shareable on a new
podcast series called* The Response*, exploring the remarkable communities
that arise in the aftermath of disasters.

*We released three episodes over the summer:*

   - Episode 1: A Radical Approach to Disaster Recovery
   <https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=fe3554d3b3&e=8827dae73d>
   introduces the idea of "disaster collectivism" through the story of Occupy
   Sandy and their recovery efforts in the Rockaways after Hurricane Sandy
   - Episode 2: Restoring Power (to the People)
   <https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=fcdd273d6c&e=8827dae73d>
   explores the mutual aid centers that have been popping up throughout Puerto
   Rico after Hurricane Maria
   - Episode 3: Uneven Burns
   <https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=b48a1dcba6&e=8827dae73d>
   examines the intersection of climate disruption, California's unprecedented
   wildfires, and the undocumented community.

*We hope you'll check them out and let us know what you think!*
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=57446c4c24&e=8827dae73d>

*Check out the feature article
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=ce56cc5d21&e=8827dae73d>
written by Robert exploring disaster collectivism.*
And finally, we're now on *Spotify*! You can follow us to stream any of our
past episodes and to get all of our new content delivered to you directly:
spoti.fi/2CHczLN
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=560c99996c&e=8827dae73d>

Upstream is fiscally sponsored by the 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
*Independent
Arts and Media*. This means that any *donations to Upstream are tax-exempt*.

What we do here is a labor of love — we provide all of our material ad-free
and free of charge. We rely on the support of listeners like you to keep
this project alive and thriving. *Please consider chipping in any amount
you can to help us continue to bring you these important documentaries*.
Thank you! Together we can bring about a more beautiful and equitable world.
Click to Support
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=3730e26fdb&e=8827dae73d>

If you are not at a place where you can contribute financially, you can
still help us out by spreading the word about Upstream to your community.
You can also follow us on social media (see below) and subscribe to us on
iTunes
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=f5cfc842a6&e=8827dae73d>,
Google Play
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=a22c70925f&e=8827dae73d>,
or Spotify
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=7395151271&e=8827dae73d>
.

*Thank you! - Della & Robert*
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=9cba749f14&e=8827dae73d>
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=efda8bc705&e=8827dae73d>
<http://instagram.com/upstreampodcast/>
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=20b179a825&e=8827dae73d>
<info at upstreampodcast.org>
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=f38e41ff64&e=8827dae73d>
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=d6bf9fe6a3&e=8827dae73d>
You can update your preferences
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=942d595e03&e=8827dae73d>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=942d595e03&e=8827dae73d&c=a4ba64714d>
.

This email was sent to michel at p2pfoundation.net
*why did I get this?*
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/about?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=942d595e03&e=8827dae73d&c=a4ba64714d>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=942d595e03&e=8827dae73d&c=a4ba64714d>
    update subscription preferences
<https://economicsfortransition.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&id=942d595e03&e=8827dae73d>
Economics for Transition · Upstream · San Jose, CA 95120 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=8534901e74438314fda5dc23b&afl=1>

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/