[P2P-F] Fwd: Sky Above, Soil Below

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Jun 28 09:53:07 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kosmos Journal <info at kosmosjournal.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM
Subject: Sky Above, Soil Below
To: michel <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

Click here
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=6d36cd94d7&e=1714399d97>
to read this newsletter on our website.
[image: Kosmos Community Newsletter]
Sky Above, Soil Below June 26th, 2018

Where is the collective transformation we are waiting for? Each day we see
news about the suffering endured by people fleeing their homelands or we
hear the latest climate reports, and we feel frustrated, angry, or sad. We
also read about scientific breakthroughs – powerful telescopes and
microscopes that reveal ‘new stories’ about our origins and even our
consciousness. Yet, these marvels don’t feel connected to our daily lives.

But, what if the breakthroughs *and* the converging crises are the exact
elements we need – a *sacred fire* that is opening our human hearts? If so,
collective transformation is not disconnected from daily living. We are
experiencing it right now.
Thomas Berry in Assisi, Italy in 1991 (photo: Drew Dellinger)

In this newsletter, we share three stories that may seem, at first,
unrelated. One is from ecologist and filmmaker John Liu and two are from
the new edition of *Kosmos Quarterly*. In *Change the Worldview, Change the
World*, Drew Dellinger writes about his relationship with cultural
historian Thomas Berry, who believed new cosmological narratives can help
us heal our disconnection from nature. In *The Migrant Quilt*, by Valarie
Lee James, we learn about a project that weaves desperation and hope at the
US border with Mexico, into tapestries of remembrance and love. And John
Liu describes his vision for *Ecosystem Restoration Camps*, where bringing
the soil back to life is a community vocation.

The connection between these three stories is our *interconnection*.
Berry’s cosmology shows us a view of Earth from space that reveals our
miraculous aliveness, dependent as much on the thin layer of atmosphere
that protects us, as on the even thinner crust of living soil that sustains
us. And if we are so completely dependent on the fragile, intricate web of
life around us, how much more so do we need each other – our brothers and
sisters everywhere, of all species – to work out our common future together?

*The team at Kosmos hopes you have been enjoying the Quarterly
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=455f3a5f86&e=1714399d97>.
To those who have subscribed, thank you!*

*We continue to bring you a mix of resources year-round through this
newsletter and the Quarterly. Yet, we can only continue with your support
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=33437b689f&e=1714399d97>.
We are vitally interconnected! Please Subscribe.
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=9f337d80f9&e=1714399d97>*

*Several stories from Kosmos Quarterly are available for non-subscribers to
enjoy. You can find two of them here, and more by visiting our homepage –
www.kosmosjournal.org <http://www.kosmosjournal.org>  Only subscribers have
access to the complete Quarterly.*
The Migrant Quilt, by Valarie Lee James

“The 17 quilts in the project bear the names of people who have died each
year crossing the desert in the Tucson Sector since 2000—the year the
county medical examiner’s office began documenting the names of the dead,
including unidentified remains). Patched together with denim, work shirts,
embroidered cloth, and bandanas left behind on the desert floor, the quilts
are scrappy in design and raw with truth.

Many of the *bordados* (embroidered cloths) stitched into the Migrant
Quilts are inscribed with endearments. *Contigo en la Distancia* (With You
Far Away) or *Duerme Amor Mio* (Sleep My Love) shock the viewer with
familial intimacy. These personal embroideries, sometimes used as
*servilletas* to carry food across the desert, are often blessed then sent
along with a traveling family member. The embroideries have come a long
way. Now they rest alongside the names of the deceased.” *Read the complete
essay here
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=f7d8b60a61&e=1714399d97>*
In the Light | *Kosmos* Contributor, Drew Dellinger

*Drew Dellinger has been called a national treasure, by Joanna Macy, a deep
and courageous poet, by Alice Walker and one of the most creative,
courageous and prophetic voices of his generation, by Cornel West.*

Drew Dellinger, Ph.D., is an internationally known speaker, writer, poet,
and teacher whose keynotes and poetry performances—which address ecology,
justice, cosmology, and interconnectedness—have inspired minds and hearts
around the world.

He has presented at over 1400 events across the US, UK, Canada, and
Australia—including Bioneers, the Green Festival, the Dream Reborn,
TEDWomen, and the Parliament of the World’s Religions—as well as colleges
and universities, poetry venues, protests, and places of worship.

Dellinger’s award-winning book of poems, *love letter to the milky way*,
was selected by *ForeWord Reviews *magazine as a 2011 Book of the Year
Award Finalist. Now in its sixth printing, *love letter *has devoted
readers in dozens of countries on six continents. Dellinger’s work has
appeared in films, books, anthologies, and publications such as *The New
York Times, Huffington Post, Mother Jones, YES!, Tikkun, Kosmos, *and
others. His work has been cited and quoted in venues ranging from prison
workshops to climate change hearings before the US Congress. *More…*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=a56f7e0303&e=1714399d97>
Change the Worldview, Change the World

By Drew Dellinger
Kosmos Quarterly | SUMMER 2018

I was sitting in a classroom in Assisi, Italy, with one of the leading
environmental thinkers of our time, and he was talking about the power of
story. “It seems that we basically communicate meaning by narrative,” he
said. “At least that’s my approach to things: that narrative is our basic
mode of understanding.”

In that summer of 1991, Thomas Berry was a 77-year-old sage; a Catholic
priest—though never quite comfortably—a cultural historian, and a scholar
of world religions, retired from teaching but at the height of his
intellectual and prophetic powers. His central focus was addressing the
deep roots of the ecological crisis.
READ MORE →
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=da0e1ffafb&e=1714399d97>
Ecosystem Restoration Camps

By John Liu, via Permaculture

International filmmaker John D. Liu describes a vision of how Ecosystem
Restoration Camps can train people to regenerate land degraded by humans
anywhere in the world.
READ MORE →
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=69409d3402&e=1714399d97>
Subscribe to Kosmos Quarterly

When you subscribe to the new Kosmos Quarterly, you receive a great
e-journal and much more.
SUBSCRIBE
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=65952f88b2&e=1714399d97>

This email was sent to michel at p2pfoundation.net
*why did I get this?*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/about?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ae1ddf5599&e=1714399d97&c=9d85b46b17>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ae1ddf5599&e=1714399d97&c=9d85b46b17>
    update subscription preferences
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ae1ddf5599&e=1714399d97>
Kosmos Associates · PO Box 2102 · Lenox, MA 01240 · USA

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/