[P2P-F] Fwd: My new TC story: “A new hope: AI for news media”

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Jul 13 15:49:06 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jarno Koponen <jarno.koponen at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM
Subject: My new TC story: “A new hope: AI for news media”
To: michel at p2pfoundation.net

Hi Michel,

Hope this comes through safe and sound. Thought you might find my new TC
piece interesting: https://twitter.com/ilparone/
status/1017726095263764481?s=21

“To put it mildly, news media has been on the sidelines in AI development.
As a consequence, in the age of AI-powered personalized interfaces, the
news organizations don’t anymore get to define what’s real news, or, even
more importantly, what’s truthful or trustworthy. Today, social media
platforms, search engines and content aggregators control user flows to the
media content and affect directly what kind of news content is created. As
a result, the future of news media isn’t anymore in its own hands. Case
closed?

…

The driving values of news media won’t ever be fully realized in the
algorithmic reality if the news media itself isn’t actively developing
solutions that shape the algorithmic reality.

To maintain their integrity and trustworthiness, news organizations
themselves need to able to define how their AI solutions are built and
used. And the only way to fully realize this is for the news organizations
to start building their own AI solutions to augment the user-citizen,
journalists and the newsroom.”

As always, all feedback/thoughts very welcome! -Jarno M.
https://twitter.com/ilparone

Best,
Jarno M. Koponen,
T: https://twitter.com/ilparone