[P2P-F] Fwd: Essentials of Unity | Call for Essays and Works

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:21:17 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kosmos Journal <info at kosmosjournal.org>
Date: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 2:02 PM
Subject: Essentials of Unity | Call for Essays and Works
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

Click here
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=b46ece75f4&e=60482295ca>
to read this newsletter on our website.
[image: Kosmos Community Newsletter]
Essentials of Unity | Call for Essays and Works July 10th, 2018

*Unity is oneness of purpose, not sameness of persons. *– Tony Evans

*The essence of the beautiful is unity in variety. *– W. Somerset Maugham

There is a thinking-trap we can fall into, especially if we live a life of
relative privilege, that ‘unity’ means homogeneity – *‘everyone the same*‘
– or more specifically, ‘*everyone like me’*.  It is difficult to feel ‘at
one’ with people who fundamentally disagree with us. This is particularly
true in debates about climate, women’s reproductive rights, immigration,
economic justice, and our use of the Earth’s resources. In a beautiful
essay, Mark Longhurst explores this tension between differences and unity.

*Kosmos* is happy to announce a special collaboration with our longtime
ally *We, The World*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=cbdab29e51&e=60482295ca>
for
this year’s *11 Days of Global Unity
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=5c7ba8865f&e=60482295ca>
*September
11-21. You are invited to submit an essay, poem, video or other work to
*Kosmos* to be considered for inclusion in our Fall Quarterly edition. You
can choose any one of the *11 Ways to Transform Your World*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=3ca1a51b72&e=60482295ca>
as
the theme for your submission (see below for details). If your work is
chosen to appear in *Kosmos* in September, you and your work will also be
highlighted as a Featured Participant in this year’s *11 Days of Global
Unity
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=68bff3ecce&e=60482295ca>
*which
may also include media and webcast appearances.

*11 Days of Global Unity*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=1fd7661aac&e=60482295ca>
 – *11 Ways to Transform Your World*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=efdebe5dbe&e=60482295ca>
is
a worldwide platform for the promotion of peace, justice, sustainability
and transformation that annually includes as many as 700 associated events
in over 60 countries around the world. It culminates on September
21st, the *U.N.
International Day of Peace. *Participants in 11 Days of Global Unity have
included Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Jane Goodall, Deepak Chopra, Daniel
Ellsberg, Amy Goodman, Bill McKibben, Eve Ensler, Ralph Nader, Arun Gandhi,
Marianne Williamson, Robert Thurman and many other visionary leaders around
the world. *Learn more about this below.*

Also in this newsletter, we are sharing two more features from the
*Quarterly*: a beautiful gallery of photos by Barbara Schaefer
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=c7432ce9da&e=60482295ca>
titled *absence presence*, and an urgent call by the *Mamos majores,* chief
Elders of the Arhuaco and Kogi peoples, shared by Eva Willmann de Donlea
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=fe3a591ae7&e=60482295ca>
.
Ordinary Mystic | Oneness, Domination and Difference

by Mark Longhurst, via Ordinary Mystic
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=6cea110b69&e=60482295ca>

“Anyone who cares about our world today, is painfully aware how utterly far
from *union* we are. Our cultural, political and moral landscape is filled
with fragmentation, brokenness, seemingly irreconcilable beliefs, vitriol,
scapegoating of the different, attribution of evil to the other side, and
even imprisonment of those who look different or may come from a different
country.

Which begs the question: what, on earth, does the mystical vision of
*oneness* have to say to today’s reality? Is it just a pipe dream? Does
unity need to be thrown out in favor of the cause of justice. Does taking
sides with the poor, or the immigrant, or the incarcerated, mean giving up
on oneness? But, how can there be true oneness without justice for all,
especially the most vulnerable?” *Read more…
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=a933e59157&e=60482295ca>*
*Kosmos Call for Essays and Works | **11 Days of Global Unity September
11-21* *Due: August 15, 2018. Before you submit, please take a look at our
guidelines.
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=068268747e&e=60482295ca>*

Kosmos, in cooperation with *We, The World*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=61b5edd8d2&e=60482295ca>
invites
you to submit an essay up to 1000 words, or other works such as video,
film, spoken word, art, music and poetry. We will choose several works to
publish in our Quarterly, on our website, and to be featured in this year’s *11
Days of Global Unity
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=f58a2c5417&e=60482295ca>.*

The theme of the fall Quarterly is *‘All Consuming’*, what we consume and
what consumes us! We will talk about the Earth’s resources – food, water,
fossil fuels – and other kinds of consumption, such as the media messages
we consume and our mental/physical addictions.  What does the word
*consuming* bring up for you?

In this special collaboration with We, The World for 11 Days of Global Unity
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=81f8f14fc9&e=60482295ca>,
we ask you to consider connecting our theme to one of the 11 Global Unity
Themes for Change
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=c35b16dfa1&e=60482295ca>.
These themes are:*1 Unity, **2 Interdependence, **3 Environment, **4
Economic Justice, **5 Health, **6 Children And Youth, **7 Women, **8 Human
Rights, **9 Freedom, **10 Disarmament, **11 Peace.*

*11 Days of Global Unity – 11 Ways to Transform Your World* is is a
worldwide platform for the promotion of peace, justice, sustainability and
transformation that annually includes as many as 700 associated events in
over 60 countries around the world. It culminates on September 21st, the *U.N.
International Day of Peace*, which itself is celebrated annually by as many
as 3,500 organizations in over 120 countries.
Indigenous Worldview Is a Source We Now Urgently Need

By Eva Willmann de Donlea
Kosmos Quarterly | SUMMER 2018

“Until now, what human beings have reached for is self-destruction, the
destruction of Mother Earth, of the mountains, the poisoning of the sea, of
the rivers, of the lakes, and the reduction of the flora and fauna. We are
seeing how we are impoverishing the planet and those who live there. Humans
have strayed from their path and are accelerating their self-destruction.”
– Calixto Suarez Villafane

Image | Arhuaco Elder and 1Earth Institute Inc. Director, Calixto Suarez
Villafane, © 1Earth Institute Inc. 2018
READ MORE →
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=c85d3d1974&e=60482295ca>
Kosmos Gallery | absence presence

By Barbara Schaefer
Kosmos Quarterly | SUMMER 2018

In December 2007, I was asked to participate in, Pulling Down, an
exhibition and performances about the Holocaust, honoring the Day of
Memory. I was staying in the neighborhood of the Jewish Ghetto and spent
many hours walking the streets both day and at night in preparation for the
exhibition. I sensed that the streets themselves would let me know what
they wanted me to express- that I would find my inspiration there- since it
was there the Jews were forced to evacuate their homes.

Coming from a Jewish family, I was interested in exploring my origins and
the historical events that took place in those streets during the Holocaust
from an artist perspective. From there, the exploration of absence
presence was born.
READ MORE →
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ca3ce0bd21&e=60482295ca>
Subscribe to Kosmos Quarterly

When you subscribe to the new Kosmos Quarterly, you receive a great
e-journal and much more.
SUBSCRIBE
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=bd2d25038c&e=60482295ca>

This email was sent to michelsub2004 at gmail.com
*why did I get this?*
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/about?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ae1ddf5599&e=60482295ca&c=8b5bf23660>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ae1ddf5599&e=60482295ca&c=8b5bf23660>
    update subscription preferences
<https://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=ae1ddf5599&e=60482295ca>
Kosmos Associates · PO Box 2102 · Lenox, MA 01240 · USA