[P2P-F] Fwd: From Rajani: The End of Evolution?

Denis Postle denis.postle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:29:28 CEST 2018

This from Rajani reflecting Guy McPherson's worldview feels
understandably melodramatic. But fair enough, how we give voice to the
accumulative threats to 'civilisation' is a very contested issue.

Some people have found the intentionally confronting approach of my
recent video /Messages from the Blue Planet/
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57u_NGMQbkk> 'unnerving'. My son Elmer
was very helpful, he told me that he thought what I was doing with the
videos echoed the very last lines in Shakespeare's King Lear:
'The weight of this sad time we must obey;
speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne most: we that are young
shall never see so much, nor live so long.

Yes, it is certainly a global emergency, yes, irreversible changes
appear to be in train. The two years of more or less 24/7 research for
/Messages From the Blue Planet/ and its upcoming sequel support this,
and especially how the crisis has been created from, and continues to be
researched from a linear take on unfolding events ('progress', capital
accumulation etc). This tends to mean that the climate modelling of how
the earth system is evolving is unhelpful about nonlinear change, which
seems to be overwhelmingly likely to be how forcings in the earth system
will be expressed/are being expressed. Consequence: continuation of
'business as usual'.

I doubt if evolution is over, a very long time ago oxygen was toxic to
some emerging life but a very long time later, here we are. However I am
certainly convinced that 'progress' will soon be history.