[P2P-F] Fwd: From Rajani: The End of Evolution?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:11:54 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: r kanth <involutegandhian at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 1:30 AM
Subject: Fwd: From Rajani: The End of Evolution?
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

                                                         *Doomsday?*

May not be far away.

Remember Barry Mcguire?

His  song  was  titled ‘Eve of Destruction’.

Could be an anthem for us all, in these  times.

Let me explain.

Turns out I am not the only gloom-sayer around.

The really hard act here  is  Dr. Guy Mcpherson, Biologist and Concerned
Citizen(he’s all over *Youtube).*

He is predicting an *early* , *abrupt*, extinction for us anthropic beings
( I detest the term ‘ homo sapiens’: *Homo Baceolus *might  be more apt?).

Here’s a digest.

*Firstly,*  our  *Habitat.*

Our species has been around for a bit.

But 99% of all species are now extinct.

Are we next?

Yes, likely.

In 1750 – the baseline year of Industrialisation - - planetary temp was at
13.5 Celsius.

The species has survived, Guy  estimates,   at no more than about 2 Degrees
above that, and that may be the highest that permits a  real habitat for
humans.

Today we are  already 1.6 Degrees above the 1750 baseline.

Close.

*Second*, ‘*Civilisation’ *– his term, not mine – is a veritable *heat
engine.*

Only way to turn off this heating  is  a  total collapse of this’
civilisation’ *tout a fait.*

But , *Third,* such a collapse  of  this ‘civ’ brings about, in turn,  yet
another crisis: *global dimming.*

Industrial activity produces *particularates* that blanket the earth and
block sun’s rays this ‘cooling’ the earth ( by some 3 degrees).

If we stop that engine then the planet heats  up  some more , maybe , by
another  4.5 Degrees.

There goes our Habitat.

*Fourth*, is  what he calls the *Sixth (Mass)  *Extinction: the *ominicide*
extant that is killing  off as many as , perhaps,  200 species  *a day.*

Their death presages ours.

Plus,  the steady melt of Arctic ice could release trapped methane in
abrupt fashion.

All that could shoot  Planetary temp up to 19 Degrees,  *within a year or
two,  at  most:*

*ergo,* crop failures, droughts, starvation, *et. al (*note, he sees the
‘commencement ‘ of this scenario within  but a year or so).

Pop goes the weasel.

Why aren’t the powers that *shouldn’t *be telling us?

Fear, of mass panic.

Even science journals are loth to print  such radical ideas.

So, what can be done?

*Nothing,* says Guy, since it’s out of control already.

We are doomed.

*Instead, he asks us to remain calm, pursue excellence, and pursue love.*

Whew.

Tall order.

I like the last, the second to  last is but an old  affectation,  and the
first may be  well beyond reach.

I register only 2  informed objections – to his analysis -  neither of them
minor.

No, ‘Western Civ’ is not ‘civ’, by any stretch ( I have explained this in
many *Works*): it in fact a ‘culture of death’ , to use a telling phrase of
 environmentalist Vandana Shiva, that has brought us to  this catastrophic
pass.

Second, if we are counting,  it’s not the 6th,  but, in fact,  the 7th
Extinction.

*The Sixth was the genocide against Non-Europeans,  carried out by Europe,
non-stop since 1492.*

Yes, *non-stop.*

Have a look around.

Other than that, his logic and facts appear sound.

We need to listen to  Barry.

And to Guy.

It’s time for soothsayers to step up: all others have, more or less,  failed
us.
*[©R.Kanth 2018] *