[P2P-F] Global Government Revisited (GTN Discussion)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 17:32:13 CEST 2017

dear friends,

I would like to make a very general remark on this discussion.

I believe that any proposal for global governance should be rooted in real
trends, and not just in some idea of how things should be.

Last spring, we undertook to draft a Commons Transition Plan for the City
of Ghent in northern Belgium (Flanders), which proposed, based on
pre-existing seed forms that could be developed further, a institutional
design for public-commons partnerships.

See here for an english summary:
http://commonstransition.org/commons-transition-plan-city-ghent/ and thanks
for having a look at the three included graphs, which explain things
visually.

Now this is of course a local plan, but our great discovery was the
isomorphism between the emerging digital economy, and the urban commons and
its institutional and economic forms, which turn out to be extraordinary
similar. In fact, we propose that the cities become the transnational
institutional arm, the 'state' of the commons if you will, by collectively
sustaining the common infrastructural needs of the emerging urban commons
(what we call protocol cooperativism).

On a transnational scale, we see the emergence of

* global productive communities co-constructing very large scale productive
knowledge commons, which are not possible to sustain through state or
corporate forms, managing their infrastructure through for-benefit
associations such as the FLOSS Foundation; a recent study in which we
participated, called P2P Value, showed that 78% of 300 such communities
studied, have or are working on open and contributive accounting (our
current excitement concerns the projects on establishing globally shared
supply chains with distributed ledgers)

* globa-local entrepreneurial coalitions, of both the extractive (IMB with
Linux) and the generative kind (Enspiral, Ethos, Sensorica, Las Indias
etc..) connect around them

So add to this the existing infrastructural commons organizations just
mentioned above and the city leagues we have proposed, and we have an
emerging infrastructure for human cooperation through civil society commons
iniatives, livelihood entities, and governance institutions

What does that tell us about global governance ?

That it can't be just a re-arranging of the nation-state institutions in
some new format, nor some add-on of the older global CSO's

in fact, what is needed is to trans-nationalize the idea and practice of
public-commons-generative partnerships, i.e. to complement the inter-state
system with globally scaled trans-national organizations that reflect the
interconnection of the new wave of commoning, which at least in western
european cities, have known a tenfold increase in ten years (2 other
studies confirm our own findings on this rate of expansion)

In Ghent, we identified 500 urban commons, active in every single area of
human provisioning, offering generative alternatives to current practices.

This is the huge shift which as yet, not so many mainstream observers, are
able to see, because they are looking for huge formal structures, and are
blind to the emerging interconnected distributed infrastructures,

in my opinion, the future is not a world government with its potential
negative aspects, but rather a interlinked set-up of transnational
public-commons partnerships to deal with the urgent issues facing humankind

Michel Bauwens