[P2P-F] Postcapitalism, Basic Income and the End of Work: A Critique and Alternative

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 19:27:00 CET 2017

I took a brief look at this paper and found it seriously disappointing. I hope someone with more heart to read through a caricature of UBI as presented here, will make a more thorough criticism.
UBI is presented as a way to 'escape work', and as anti productivity, 'post work dreamers', following a remark by Marx that it was a misfortune to be a productive worker.  I cannot claim to have read all the literature, but this interpretation of the motivation for UBI does not ring true to me. The possibility for people to be free to choose how they spend their time, in what way they want to contribute to social wellbeing, as a result of UBI, does not seem to enter this analysis.

Finally what I understood  positively was that it should be administered by us rather than the state, good point, and can connect with social projects needed to make the transition to a society that works for all. Both of these points could have been made without attempting to debunk UBI, and it's having many supporters of different colours (as if that is a criticism)
Anna