[P2P-F] Fwd: We're building resources for immigrant communities!

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue May 23 19:00:13 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ricardo S. Nuñez <ricardo at theselc.org>
Date: Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Subject: We're building resources for immigrant communities!
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

Michel --

May marks our annual *People Powered Economies membership campaign*. During
the month of May, we're sharing stories about how our work at the
Sustainable Economies Law Center is building more just, resilient
communities. If you ever wondered how your donations were making an impact
or why you should become a supporter of our work
<https://theselc.nationbuilder.com/people_powered_selc?e=ed92f4e250cb217994ea15ec073e849b403e42b3&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=redhen_may17&n=1&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=1>,
*read on to learn about our partnership with Prospera building resources
for immigrant-owned cooperatives! *If you like what you read,* please join
us today
<https://theselc.nationbuilder.com/people_powered_selc?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=2>!*
------------------------------

*
<https://theselc.nationbuilder.com/people_powered_selc?e=ed92f4e250cb217994ea15ec073e849b403e42b3&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pocshn_may17&n=1&v=21&test_email=1&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=3>*[image:
Claudia, Karla, Laura, and Itzel of Prospera]Claudia, Karla, Laura, and
Itzel of Prospera

*Prospera is the only nonprofit in the U.S. that focuses solely on
developing and launching cooperative businesses owned by Latina immigrant
women*. Worker cooperatives have a long history as a strategy for economic
self-sufficiency, especially for low-income communities and communities of
color. For immigrant communities, worker-owned cooperatives create economic
stability and self-determination in a climate that is increasingly hostile
to immigrant workers. Since 1995, Prospera has been supporting
immigrant-owned cooperatives that, on average, have tripled worker’s
individual incomes, enabled workers to build assets by increasing their
initial investments 22 times over, *built* community leadership, and
rewarded workers based on their labor contribution - not their financial
contribution.

Founded in 1995, Prospera has been partnering with Latina entrepreneurs to
build cooperatively owned businesses. But when they were looking to support
their entrepreneurs with a flat business structure that would meet the
needs of their member, they hit a wall. Some immigrant-owned cooperatives
with old, hierarchical management and governance structures were seeing a
rise in internal conflict, putting members at risk. That’s when Prospera
reached out to the Sustainable Economies Law Center.

“The Law Center is an important ally for the Latina immigrant entrepreneurs
that Prospera partners with. They provide much needed legal support for
cooperatives and we are excited to be expanding our collaboration. That
way, many more aspiring immigrant coop owners can access reliable legal
support, especially in the current anti-immigrant climate.”

- Maria Rogers Pascual, Executive Director, Prospera.

Last year, the Law Center partnered with Prospera to support their
cooperative business incubation program. Our Executive Director, Janelle
Orsi, worked in conversation with the founding members of a paleteria
cooperative to create an operating agreement that responded to their
specific values, circumstances, and the needs of the business itself. The
tool that was developed: a cartoon operating agreement
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.co-oplaw.org%2Flegal-tools%2Fcartoon-operating-agreement-coop-llc%2F&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=4>
that helped explain complex legal issues in an accessible, culturally
relevant way. This type of tool could only have been created through a
collaborative, client-centered relationship, and is now on our website to
download for free
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.co-oplaw.org%2Flegal-tools%2Fcartoon-operating-agreement-coop-llc%2F&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=5>
!

This is what we do at the Sustainable Economies Law Center: we build
replicable, accessible, and culturally relevant materials for each client
and community we work with. *But we can’t do this without your financial
support.*

Become a Member
<http://www.theselc.org/people_powered_selc?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=6>
of the Law Center or make a one-time contribution
<http://www.theselc.org/give?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=7>
today and support our efforts with Prospera and immigrant communities
across the country as we:

   -

   Create more Spanish and Tagalog language legal tools;
   -

   Host free, Spanish-language cooperative legal advice sessions;
   -

   Facilitate Spanish and Tagalog workshops on how to start and run
   worker-owned enterprises;
   -

   Interview existing immigrant cooperatives to assess legal, business, and
   financial needs; and
   -

   Recruit and train Spanish-speaking legal professionals to be part of a
   cooperative attorneys network.

*Will you join me and the Law Center as we build resources for immigrant
communities?*

[image: Join Us Today] <http://people_powered_selc>

*10% of everything we raise during this month will be shared with our
solidarity partners, the Alipato Project
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alipatoproject.org%2F&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=8>
and Prospera
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fprosperacoops.org%2F&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=9>,
who are **helping us create more just and resilient communities.*
[image: Sustainable Economies Law Center]

With appreciation,
Ricardo Nuñez
Director of Economic Democracy
http://www.theselc.org/

<http://www.theselc.org/?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=10>
-=-=-

Sustainable Economies Law Center · 2323 Broadway, #203, Oakland, CA 94612,
United States
This email was sent to michel at p2pfoundation.net. To stop receiving
emails, click
here
<http://www.theselc.org/unsubscribe?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=11>.

You can also keep up with Ricardo S. Nuñez on Twitter
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMulengaRicardo&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=12>.

-=-=-

Created with NationBuilder
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnationbuilder.com&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may17_propera&n=13>,