[P2P-F] 2nd edition: Social Media: A Critical Introduction

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Fri Mar 10 12:20:22 CET 2017

Fuchs, Christian. 2017. Social Media: A Critical Introduction. London:
Sage. 2nd edition.

More info, classroom materials and the sample chapter "What are Social
Media and Big Data?" can be found at:
http://fuchs.uti.at/books/2nd-edition-social-media-a-critical-introduction/

With social media changing how we use and understand everything from
communication and the news to transport, more than ever it is essential
to ask the right kinds of questions about the business and politics of
social media. This book equips students with the critical thinking they
need to understand the complexities and contradictions and make informed
judgements.

This Second Edition:
- Lays bare the structures and power relations at the heart of our media
landscape.
- Explores the sharing economy of Uber and Airbnb in a brand new chapter.
- Takes us into the politics and economy of social media in China
- Puts forward powerful arguments for how to achieve a social media that
serves the purposes of a just and fair world
--
Digital Objects, Digital Subjects: An Interdisciplinary Symposium on
Activism, Research & Critique in the Age of Big Data Capitalism, May