[P2P-F] What do I Know?

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 09:58:15 CEST 2017

Dear Michel,

Rereading your emails, there seem to be two conflicting themes. The evidence you quote about decreasing levels of violence in our 'civilised' societies, seems to indicate the need to restrain natural male aggression, supporting Ranjani's point, which I have questioned.

In our 'civilised' society, in my view, all our relationships have elements of 'power over', reflecting the hierarchical and class divisions you mention. We know that power over relationships naturally engender aggression because they threaten the autonomy and freedom of the individual, both the one with power and the one subjugated, and thus necessitate repressive measures to avoid conflict.

Entering post civilisation processes then, (as I understand that term without I confess having read the book) insofar as they develop a more egalitarian society, can in my view, resolve the cause of aggression and the need for repressive measures - (here is the importance of quoting the example of small band hunter gatherer societies as being more egalitarian and less aggressive)

However, if men are aggressive by nature, those repressive measures will still be needed, which reinstates hierarchy, and we are back to square one.

Anna