[P2P-F] Fwd: Money for the People (GTN Discussion)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 09:13:04 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: Money for the People (GTN Discussion)
To: Great Transition Network <gtnetwork at greattransition.org>

Having read Gwendolyn's contribution, I would like to caution on any too
enthusiastic reliance on the blockchain.

The blockchain is first and foremost a tool of the anarcho-capitalist
propertarians (https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Bitcoin#Political_Aspects),
i.e. a tool for hyper-capitalist competitive markets, which we know lead to
oligarchies; moreover, interlinked data through such universal ledger can
easily lead to more control by the state and large corporations, who are
already heavily investing in these technologies. In other words, the
emancipatory aspects of the blockchain are not a given, and could lead to
hyper-state or hyper-market outcomes, not to a libertarian-propertarian
utopia.

But this is not so say that the idea of a universal ledger, linked to the
capacity of creating globa-local virtual currencies and tokens, has no
value at all or no potential for a more just, sustainable and open commons
economy.

The key is not in the currency, but in the value regime that is adapted and
which value regime the tokens or currencies represent. Do we accept that
value is only generated as a commodity with commodified labor, or do we
accept that communities can be value sovereign and recognize all value
contributions ?

Within the context of commons-based value sovereign communities, explored
in our report on Value in the Commons Economy (http://commonstransition.org/
value-commons-economy/), wiht 3 cases studies of how specific communities
chose to operate the boundary between the commons and the external market.
An earlier study of 300 peer production communities (P2P Value,https://wiki.
p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Value) is also highly interesting as it documents
that 78% of the communities studied have implemented, or were working on,
open and contributive accounting systems. The key will then to link the new
emerging value regime, with actual physical production, and it is in this
context of the 'open circular economy' (see our report, The Thermodynamics
of Peer Production, available via email request), and the need for
participatory and open supply chains, that the blockchain , as a universal
ledger, can play a vital role in the emergence of a mutual coordination
economy that will rely much less on planning and market pricing signals,
and much more on network resource planning amongst interlinked
commons-oriented entrepreneurial coalitions (I prefer to use
entre-donneurial, giving in between, rather than 'taking in between').

Interesting projects in this sphere are:

   - The Economic Space Agency
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Economic_Space_Agency> proposes
Commons-Oriented
   Decentralised Programmed Organisations
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Commons-Oriented_Decentralised_Programmed_Organisations>.
   cDPOs "are frameworks to bootstrap, develop & sustain commons projects".,
   aka, the commons-oriented version of DAO's. More info in the
article: Programmed
   Decentralised Commons Production
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Programmed_Decentralised_Commons_Production>
   .

   - The Metacurrency Project
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Metacurrency_Project> with Arthur Brock
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Arthur_Brock> et al. propose a Sovereign
   Accountable Commons
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Sovereign_Accountable_Commons> which is
   related to their Holochain
<https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Holochain> project,
   an alternative to the blockchain that does not require exponential energy
   usage

   - The FairCoop <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/FairCoop>/Freedom Coop
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Freedom_Coop> people, the creators of
   the Faircoin <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Faircoin>, are working
on a Open
   Collaborative Platform
   <https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Open_Collaborative_Platform>, which
   intents to merge both open contributive accounting mechanisms and open
   supply chains; Faircoin also has a low energy footprint*

In relation to the money world, I think we should aim for monetary
biodiversity

* the world of national sovereign currencies will continue to exist, but
could be reformed/transformed by progressive coalitions, on the lines
suggested by Mary Mellor, Positive Money, Modern Monetary Theory etc..; but
all these solutions stay in the redistributive sphere and recognize only
commodity value

* the world of complementary local currencies continues to expand to
protect and stimulate local economies against global instabilities and
extraction; there are a number of global credit commons initiatives which
aim to make these interoperable if they so wish (see the work of jem
bendell and matthew slater on protocol cooperativism); however, these
currencies are territorially based and are not very appropriate for global
productive coalitions

* thus we need the third sphere: the world of commons-based current-sees
(concept from Arthur Brock, seeing the currents of contributions) operates
for the virtual territories of globa-local productive communities,
(distinguished from the hypercapitalist cryptocurrencies based on the
libertarian blockchain which will soon be able to determine their relative
value to each other via the Bancor protocol, if it succeeds)

Michel Bauwens, P2P Foundation