[P2P-F] Fwd: CULTURAL NARRATIVES IN THE ANTHROPOCENE

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Jul 7 15:24:18 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kenneth McLeod <kenneth.mcleod at uts.edu.au>
Date: Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:40 PM
Subject: CULTURAL NARRATIVES IN THE ANTHROPOCENE
To: kenneth.mcleod at uts.edu.au

*“Paradigms are the sources of systems. From them, from shared social
agreements about the nature of reality, come system goals and information
flows, feedbacks, stocks, flows and everything else about systems.”*

Donella Meadows

*REGISTER HERE*
<https://www.humanitix.com/event/cultural-narratives-in-the-anthropocene/>

Our cultural and personal stories (reflecting and reproducing deeply held
beliefs, values, paradigms and worldviews) are the foundations upon which
we construct our ways of making meaning.  The dawn of the Anthropocene
demonstrates the dysfunctional and incomplete nature of the dominant
cultural stories of the modern globalised world. It points to a need for
new narratives that can give rise to life regenerating cultures and social
systems. For example, stories of ‘perpetual growth’ and ‘progress’ on a
finite planet cannot be sustained; stories of ‘separation’ suggest humans
stand outside of nature. These stories exist in the deep patterning of our
collective culture, families and inner subjective realm.

New narratives are emerging through social movements, thought leaders and
spiritual leaders, inter-weaving through our communities and institutions
alongside and perhaps subverting the entrenched stories underpinning the
status quo. Fortunately, our cultural narratives exist as a dynamic
human-created process; adapted, shared and reinforced over time to meet our
needs at both individual and collective levels.

As we enter the Anthropocene Transition, we are challenged to examine our
cultural narratives, particularly those of the dominant west, in order to
become more aware of the underlying sources of our taken-for-granted but
often incomplete worldviews. It’s time to turn our attention to the new
narratives that are emerging at the grassroots and from the periphery and
to consider how we can support their evolution towards life-regenerating
stories that could better serve us and our non-human sisters and brothers.

This workshop may be the first in an ongoing inquiry into cultural
narratives in the Anthropocene.

In this first conversation, we will seek to map the systems of existing and
emerging narratives to begin forming composite pictures of our world-views,
how they came to be, their consequences, and their self-reinforcing
qualities.  We will also consider what the purpose and agenda might be for
a continuing inquiry into cultural narratives in and for the Anthropocene
Transition and who is energised and wishing to take this further.

*Date & time: Tuesday July 25 • 6:00-8:30pm*

*Venue: CB08.04.003 (level 4, room 003), UTS Business School, 14-28 Ultimo
Road, Ultimo 2007*

*NOTE: The number of participants will be limited to please register early
- CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
<https://www.humanitix.com/event/cultural-narratives-in-the-anthropocene/>*

We look forward to you joining us,

*David Pointon & Kat Dunn*

Anthropocene Transition Project, UTS Business School, Sydney

Registration: https://www.humanitix.com/event/cultural-narratives-in-
the-anthropocene/

------------------------------

*Enquiries for Cultural Narratives in the Anthropocene:*

- David Pointon,
- +61412199648
- david at davidpointon.com

http://www.ageoftransition.org/home

------------------------------
UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F DISCLAIMER: This email message and any
accompanying attachments may contain confidential information. If you are
not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or
copy this message or attachments. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views
of the University of Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments,
please check them for viruses and defects. Think. Green. Do. Please
consider the environment before printing this email.