[P2P-F] Fwd: Invitation: Shadow Cabinet @ Cuchifritos Gallery

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Feb 11 09:13:00 CET 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jodi Waynberg <jodi at artistsallianceinc.org>
Date: Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 1:30 AM
Subject: Invitation: Shadow Cabinet @ Cuchifritos Gallery
To: michel at p2pfoundation.net

Dear Michel,

I hope all is well! I am excited to share information about “Shadow
Cabinet:” A Loyal Opposition Response, our current exhibition on view at
Cuchifritos Gallery + Project Space (LES, New York). I received your
contact information from Filippo Lorenzin, who thought this project might
be of interest to you.

Since the election of President Donald Trump in November 2016, we have seen
the people of the United States come together to voice concerns, fears, and
uncertainties. Each individual in the U.S. has been affected by the change
in administration to some extent. Countless questions have been raised
across the world, yet remain unanswered. In “Shadow Cabinet*,”* a group of
artists, scientists, and activists have come together in response: to
shadow the Trump Administration in an administration of their own,
providing the public with solutions in real time. “Shadow Cabinet” offers a
unique perspective, bringing alternative options into the discussion of
America’s future.

Below/attached is information about and images of “Shadow Cabinet*.” *If
you’re not able or available to see this show in person, the contributors’
initial statements and ongoing responses are available on the project
website. (www.shadowcabinet.info)

On November 22, 2016, amidst considerable uncertainty about the direction
of the United States in the next four years, a proposal erupted: *to launch
a “Shadow Cabinet” to run concurrently with the Donald Trump Administration*;
not intended to protest but, rather to propose alternative policies in each
of the Executive-branch Departments.

As the current administration intensifies its policies and politics that
have systematically degraded our environmental and ethical beliefs, it has
begun to systematically erode the possibility for equal well-being across
the racial, spiritual, class and sexual divides that our “Shadow Cabinet”
proposes to be attainable. The “Shadow Cabinet” members come from decades
of work dedicated to reforming systems of war, land use, labor policy and
finance, including the observation of hotspots with civil-satellite data,
watershed management, and the development of an ecology-based tax system to
replace the current income-based system.

The “Shadow Cabinet” will serve as a voice in contrast to, but
acknowledging the existence and intentions of the Trump Administration. We
intend to put on record the views of members of the most-forward thinking
sector; the daring pioneers, of the U.S. For some, this sector is called
the "avant-garde." They produce the images and technologies of the new
economy. They could well lead the way. In the book "Weimar Culture," a
Columbia University historian concludes that the avant-garde of post-WW I
Germany almost deliberately chose to not respond to that country's economic
and political crises. They could have. They should have.  They did not. So,
we had a frustrated artist lead the country, and all of Europe, into the
world's biggest war.  Can the avant-garde in the U.S. come to the fore,
take responsibility for its new ideas, and lead the way to a viable,
plausible and survivable future?

A “Shadow Cabinet” addresses these questions and offers an administration
organized to solve them. Up to four years may be required.

For more information, please feel free to visit the website dedicated to
the project. If you have any questions, or are planning to visit the
gallery, please do let me know!

Thank you so much for your time.

--
Jodi Waynberg
Director

*Artists Alliance Inc.  <http://artistsallianceinc.org/>*
107 Suffolk St. Room 411
New York, NY 10002
O: 212.420.9202

*Cuchifritos Gallery & Project Space
<http://artistsallianceinc.org/cuchifritos-gallery-2/cuchifritos>*
120 Essex Street (located in Essex Market)
New York, NY 10002
E gallery at artistsallianceinc.org

<http://artistsallianceinc.org/cuchifritos-gallery-2/on-view>
*Currently On View
<http://artistsallianceinc.org/cuchifritos-gallery-2/on-view>*
*Shadow Cabinet: A Loyal Opposition Response*
Through March 5, 2017