[P2P-F] Reflections on Trump, and the role of the commons as an alternative

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Feb 10 08:41:22 CET 2017

Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much for this perspective, I wholly agree and I want to
commend you especially for your efforts in knowing the dynamics of the
opposite camp, as I would not have the time to do this. I urge you to keep
on working on this track, and to become a real expert in this, god knows we
need people like you willing to do this. We would also welcome your
perspectives and writings on the p2p and CT blogs, and you will have seen
george por's proposal for a political and policy oriented commons
newsletter,

I want to make a little point of localism, and Occupy; obviously, at least
for me, it doesn't work to critique them from the outside as many
post-Marxists do, and seeing them as the enemy either. These are both great
and massive social mobilisations, moving into a necessary but not
sufficient direction. Localized initiatives are not bad, just insufficient,
swarm based mobilizations are not bad, just insufficient. At the same time,
for those who have a more integrative understanding and understand 'power'
and 'institutions' cannot be ignored, it's cleary not enough, and it is
important to also point that out.

One point here is that recently at the P2P Foundation I have been pointing
at the need for our language to reflect this. So I have been introducing,
in the context of our work on the cosmo-local DGML based forms of physical
production, to stress, not localism, but the 'subsidiarity of material
production' instead. I.e. we need a lot more local production, but always
also in a trans-national framework.

If ever you had some energy to maintain a newsletter of the kind george and
I are wishing for, that would cover political commons convergences like the
ECA, the assembly of the commons that are emerging, the policy work being
done in so many urban settings,

I would put a lot of my energy of assembling such info in a way that would
be accessible to the editor of such a newsletter,

we really need this, but at p2p-f, we are overwhelmed with our existing to
do lists,