[P2P-F] key must-read essay on ecological transition in china, and why it can't happen

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Dec 16 15:46:02 CET 2017

Richard Smith, “China’s drivers and planetary ecological collapse”,
real-world economics review, issue no. 82, 13 December 2017, pp. 2-28,
http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/issue82/Smith82.pdf

see for excerpts:
https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Ecological_Transition_in_China

Dear all,

My recent trip to China was a bit of a wake up call for me, discovering the
official pivot towards ecological transformation, and while many good
initiatives and plans are on the table, this analsys convincingly shows why
despite all these efforts, they can't succeed under present political and
social conditions.

In terms of the global situation and our prospects for ecological
salvation, this is really really an essential and must-strategic read.

This doesn't mean I will stop inquiring about their successes with
biocapacity indicators and footprint efforts of course, but it sets
everything in a much more realistic light.

Richard Smith looks like a genius analyst in my mind and what he says about
the nature of the recent regime is absolutely stellar,

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/