[P2P-F] Fwd: FUTURE ENERGY SUMMIT in Folkestone on Sept 3

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 09:11:01 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gediminas Urbonas <urbonas at mit.edu>
Date: Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:47 AM
Subject: FUTURE ENERGY SUMMIT in Folkestone on Sept 3
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Dear Michel,

I'm writing to send you the details of the Sept. 3 *FUTURE ENERGY SUMMIT*,
to be held at the Folkestone Town Hall from 11AM - 6pm.

Future Energy Summit engages the emerging field of energy humanities, and
the discourses of the future of energy and post-fossil fuel transition, to
explore multidisciplinary approaches to energy, including non-human energy
production by organisms such as bacteria or fungi, and the forms of energy
in an expanded field, from psychotropic plant or mushroom induced altered
states of mind to hybrid infrastructures.

According to Imre Szeman, one of the contributors of Future Energy Summit,
the narrative of fossil fuel based modernity is already a fiction that made
the expansive use of energy invisible for the sake of  exhausted models of
‘progress’ and ‘freedom’. Therefore, the key question raised on the
occasion of this Summit is: how can we “rewrite” these fictions, unearthing
our relation to energy production processes that are already part of
natural systems and reprogramming our relation to our own and other human
and non-human bodies?

The *FUTURE ENERGY SUMMIT* program can be found here:
http://www.zooetics.net/lectures/
or here:
http://www.folkestonetriennial.org.uk/events/event/future-energy-summit/

*Folkestone QuarterHouse is handling reservations here:*
https://www.quarterhouse.co.uk/whats-on/future-energy-summit
Free entry, though registration required.

*Poster of the Summit is in the dropbox:*
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y8vyvohsa6sye5n/AAA8aQdegNLp2p8ijXpgMEjwa?dl=0

*Please help to communicate the Summit to your networks, friends and
colleagues!*

Just to let you know of the Triennial’s opening events.
On the 2nd of Sept. all the works will be open to public, including the *Folke
Stone Power Plant*, our work commissioned by the Triennial. The Stone Power
Plant is sited in front of Folkestone Museum, in the ancient Market Place.
It was inspired by the writings and drawings of Alexander von Humboldt, the
19th Century polymath whose studies in geography and the environment
initiated the science of ecology. The 'stone' contains innovative organic
batteries (storing electricity capable of powering the adjacent lamp-post.

As part of the opening events there is a symposium titled *On the Edge:
Time and Truth:*
http://www.folkestonetriennial.org.uk/learning/symposia/on-the-edge/
we are speaking on our work in that symposium on the panel titled
Geological Time and slated from 4:30PM

other events on the 2nd:
http://www.folkestonetriennial.org.uk/events/

Sorry for the short notice!

with warm regards,
Gediminas

*Gediminas Urbonas*
Associate Professor and Director
* MIT Program in Art, Culture and Technology *
School of Architecture and Planning

urbonas at mit.edu
Office: (617) 324-6471
Fax: (617) 253-3977
M.I.T., 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Bldg. E15-238
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 USA

ACT:
http://act.mit.edu

Zooetics:
http://www.zooetics.net

Public Space? Lost & Found:
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/public-space-lost-and-found

*Exhibitions and Conferences*

*Folke Stone Power Plant*, commissioned by the Double Edge - *Folkestone
Triennial in UK*
opening Sept.1, 2017

*On the Edge: Time and Truth,* Conference, Folkestone Triennial, UK
Sept. 2, 2017

*Future Energy Summit,* Conference and Workshop, Folkestone, UK
Sept. 3, 2017
http://www.zooetics.net

*Zooetics Pavilion*, commissioned by the largest contemporary art event in
Baltics - *Survival Kit 9*, *in Riga, Latvia*
opening Sept.7, 2017

*Survival Kit 9*, conference, Latvian Center for Contemporary Art, Latvia
Sept.7, 2017

*Het Nieuwe Instituut*, *Rotterdam*, The Netherlands
Sept.14, 2017

*Arts in the Public Sphere: Civility, Advocacy, and Engagement,* the *A2RU*
 - *The Alliance for the the Arts in Research Universities* National
Conference, Northeastern University in Boston.
November 1 - 4, 2017

*European Forum for Advanced Practices*, *WIELS Contemporary Art Centre,
Brussels*, Belgium
November 3-4, 2017

*Tuning Earths, *the *Whitechapel Gallery and Goldsmiths, University of
London*, London, UK
Nov. 30 - Dec.1, 2017.

*Druzba*, commissioned for the Baltic Material Assemblies *exhibition at AA
and RIBA in London, UK*
opening March, 2018

*The Baltic Material Assemblies*, conference at* AA and RIBA in London, UK*
March, 2018

*The Swamp Pavilion*, Urbonas are commissioned to curate the *Lithuanian
National Pavilion* at the *Venice Biennale Architecture Exhibition 2018*
opening May 25, 2018