[P2P-F] Fwd: The future value of ecosystem services

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Aug 17 07:09:39 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Costanza <costanza at thesolutionsjournal.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM
Subject: The future value of ecosystem services
To: Solutions <solutions at mailman.anu.edu.au>

Hi all.

We’d like to call your attention to a new paper that estimates the future
value of global ecosystem services under four scenarios to the year 2050.

Results show that the global value of ecosystem services can either
decrease by USD $51 trillion/yr or increase by USD $30 trillion/yr,
depending on which scenario we choose. The latter scenario adopts policies
similar to those required to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals,
which would greatly enhance ecosystem services, human wellbeing, and
sustainability.

The abstract is below and you can download the full paper here:
http://www.idakub.com/academics/wp-content/uploads/
2017/02/2017_J_Kubiszewski_ESscenarios.pdf

All the best,

Robert Costanza & Ida Kubiszewski

*Abstract*
We estimated the future value of ecosystem services in monetary units for 4
alternative global land use and management scenarios based on the Great
Transition Initiative (GTI) scenarios to the year 2050. We used previous
estimates of the per biome values of ecosystem services in 2011 as the
basis for comparison. We mapped projected land-use for 16 biomes at 1 km2
resolution globally for each scenario. This, combined with differences in
land management for each scenario, created estimates of global ecosystem
services values that also allowed for examinations of individual countries.
Results show that under different scenarios the global value of ecosystem
services can decline by $51 trillion/yr or increase by USD $30 trillion/yr.
In addition to the global values, we report totals for all countries and
maps for a few example countries. Results show that adopting a set of
policies similar to those required to achieve the UN Sustainable
Development Goals, would greatly enhance ecosystem services, human
wellbeing, and sustainability.

*Prof. Robert Costanza** | *VC's Chair in Public Policy | Crawford School
of Public Policy | The Australian National University | 132 Lennox
Crossing  | Canberra, ACT 2601 | Australia | URL: https://crawford.anu.edu.
au/people/academic/robert-costanza
<https://crawford.anu.edu.au/crawford_people/content/staff/rcostanza.php> |
Office: +61 (0)2 6125 6987  Mobile: +61 (0)47 801 2393
Website: www.robertcostanza.com, Google Scholar
<http://cholar.google.com.sg/citations?hl=en&user=EQ-mkaAAAAAJ>, Research
Gate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Costanza>, Scopus
<http://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7005761060&origin=AuthorEval>

*Co-Editor in Chief, **Solutions* (www.thesolutionsjournal.com
<http://www.thesolutionsjournal.org/>) | Fellow, Royal Society of Arts
(RSA)  | Fellow, Asia and the Pacific Policy Society |  Senior Research
Fellow, Stockholm Resilience Center, Stockholm, Sweden | Senior Fellow,
National Council on Science and the Environment, Washington, DC. |
Affiliate Fellow, Gund Institute for Ecological Economics, University of
Vermont | Co-chair, Ecosystem Services Partnership (es-partnership.org) | deTao
Master of Ecological Economics, deTao Masters Academy, Shanghai, China

</a>

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/