[P2P-F] Fwd: Tour Done; Life and Radio Begin

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon May 30 20:39:30 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <douglas at rushkoff.com>
Date: Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:14 AM
Subject: Tour Done; Life and Radio Begin
To: rushkoff at simplelists.com

Thanks for understanding the radio silence over the past month or two. I’ve
been working triple time, on tour for the new book, teaching at Queens, and
trying to assist a great number of worthy projects get off the ground.

I’ve got too much to share for one email, so I’ll get to things like the
election, new levels of online privacy invasion, and virtual reality in
future emails. For right now:

1. Yes, *please order Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus* if you haven’t
already, or ask your local library to get a copy. Indiebound
<http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781617230172> is the best way to get
it, but if you’re an Audible or Kindle person, you can go to Amazon
<https://www.amazon.com/Throwing-Rocks-Google-Bus-Prosperity-ebook/dp/B00Z8VTKBQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=throwing%20rocks%20at%20the%20google%20bus&qid=1446152240&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1>.
It’s not that I get more money for sales so much as that I get to write
more books. So feel free to use your company’s money to get books for your
company library or, better, all the employees! (There is no contradiction
between critiquing bad business and trying to do good business. Yes, I want
to sell my book - both for the money and the meme spread.) And I’m still
speaking most anywhere that buys 200 books at discount.

2. There’s been a ton of *great media about the book*. Here’s a few
greatest hits, but you can see most everything on my blog
<http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/>.

  article: The Atlantic: Corporate Growth for the Sake of Corporate Growth
<http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/04/corporate-growth-for-the-sake-of-corporate-growth/479136/>
.

  audio interview: Marina Gorbis of Institute for the Future Interviews
Rushkoff
<http://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/archive/podcast/douglas-rushkoff-throwing-rocks-google-bus%E2%80%94how-growth-became-enemy-prosperity>

  review: Strategy + Business - Rocking the Bus
<http://www.strategy-business.com/blog/Rocking-the-Bus?rssid=all_updates&gko=2dfc4>

  Best 10-minute talk on video: PSFK 2016
<https://vimeo.com/album/3959426/video/168074333>

3. I am finally *starting up my radio show / podcast this summer*, an
updated and expanded version of the Media Squat that will be called Team
Human Radio. It’s a non-profit affair, part of the Laboratory for Digital
Humanism I’m launching at CUNY/Queens. So yes, we would love underwriting
of any kind - feel free to get in touch about that.

I’m also looking for theme music. I’m going to see about getting a
non-profit BMI/ASCAP license, which may just give us access to everything.
But I’m hoping the show can also give exposure to some music and talent.
Yes, this is an ask for free music; we’re all working for free on this one.
If there’s money later, I’ll get you paid. As for the kind of music, I’m
partial to music that has some human, physical component. It doesn’t have
to be acoustic folk from the woods, but at least some component of the
sound should come from something outside a computer chip. It’s about “team
human,” after all.

One of my students at Queens has a great new album - we love this track
Turning to Water from the Maybirds - but they just signed a record deal so
we may not be able to get the rights to use it. Other guidance would be
Spacemen3, or even early Pink Floyd. We’re thinking modern psychedelic.
Come to think of it, I should ask my old friends in PTV….

4. *What I’m thinking about*:
I’m genuinely concerned for humanity’s ability to pull itself out of its
current mess. It has me distracted to an extreme, and it’s difficult to do
work that doesn’t feel directly aimed at arresting environmental
destruction and economic extraction. (They’re mutually reinforcing, of
course.) And the conflation of solutions with more venture capital scheming
by some of our leading environmental advocates doesn’t bode well.

My teaching at Queens College feels pretty pure in that regard: helping to
educate and empower the next generation of activists. My last book feels
pretty aligned with these values as well, and as I watch companies like
Chobani give 10% of their shares to employees before the IPO, or startups
begin to take less in venture capital and at lower valuations, I realize
the book’s ideas are gaining traction in the real world.

I’m not exactly sure what Big Project to take on next, so I’m going to
continue teaching and speaking - particularly at labor and environment
conferences - and start up Team Human Radio with a clear focus on
explaining and amplifying strategies for everything from platform
cooperatives to complementary currencies, and bio-resistance to local
resilience.

I am getting interested in what means when thinking is no longer a personal
activity, as well, and will be thinking a lot about that while also reading
what others have to say. But I don’t want to get too far into philosophy of
mind when the very basic conditions for human life seem so imperiled.

5. I’ve got a bunch of *talks* coming up this summer and next fall. I’m
keeping them updated on the home page at http://rushkoff.com

I’ll be back sooner than I was this time. Thanks for all your support
through the past few months. It’s been nuts, but it has also meant a whole
lot to see so many people come out for the events I’ve been doing. I feel
like my work has been worth doing.

----
This is RushkoffList, a monthlyish update and advance look at work in
progress. Feel free to
forward to your friends as long as you include this footer.
To unsubscribe:
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=grdK4Lvi7veNxafT2DxZrw1oAyoTFsEc

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/