[P2P-F] Fwd: Seeing Wetiko

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun May 29 19:37:19 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alnoor Ladha <alnoor at therules.org>
Date: Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM
Subject: Seeing Wetiko

Dear family and friends.

Sorry for the group email, but I wanted to share our latest article and
'meme campaign' with you.

The article is entitled Seeing Wetiko:
http://www.kosmosjournal.org/article/seeing-wetiko-on-capitalism-mind-viruses-and-antidotes-for-a-world-in-transition/

*The context:*

This article is part of a larger cultural campaign launching this July that
focuses on the Indigenous concept of "Wetiko", a term popularized by the
great Native American philosopher and scholar, Jack Forbes, in his book
Columbus and other Cannibals. Essentially we are arguing that the 'memetic
virus' of wetiko started from our disconnection to nature during the
Neolithic Revolution. It mutated into the Industrial Revolution,
colonialism, imperialism, and now, late-stage capitalism. We are all
incentivized to be short-termist, extractive, selfish and cannibalistic.
Indeed, we call this 'rational behavior' and its the main driver of GDP
growth, our global measure for 'progress'.

*Seeing Wetiko:*
A key lesson from both social sciences and the healing arts (psychotherapy,
restorative justice, etc.) is that when we are conscious of the narratives
that shape our lives and culture we are less likely to replicate them
blindly. Conscious awareness is the beginning of an antidote, like green
shoots through concrete.

Therefore, one of the starting points for healing is the simple act of “
Seeing Wetiko” in ourselves, in others, and in our cultural infrastructure.
And once we see it we can name it, which is critical because words and
language are a central battleground in the fight for a better future.

If Wetiko exists, it is because it exists within us. It is also entangled
with the broader superstructure, relationships and choice architecture that
we are confronted with as we live out our lives within a neoliberal system
on the brink of collapse.

Once we are in the mode of Seeing Wetiko, we can hack the cultural systems
that perpetuate its logic.

*Elements of the campaign:*

There will be a multi-media campaign including a 'white paper', academic
articles (in journals focused on cultural evolution, communications,
anthropology and psychology), a social media blitz, 'meme briefings' with
leading journalists from around the world, written content (from articles
in cultural magazines like Harper's and Aeon to more popular op-ed pieces),
visual content (including a short film to highlight the concept), and
'artivism' (e.g. graffiti art at key Wetiko monuments like Wall Street and
the Lord Mayor's House in the City of London) to create a visual language
around Wetiko.

Please let me know if you have any questions/feedback/counsel/etc.

And please share with your networks so we can start spreading the
anti-virus. Much appreciated.

In love and solidarity,

Alnoor

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/