[P2P-F] Fwd: [global social commons discussion] WSF2016 Montreal Programme

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon May 16 22:07:44 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Francine Mestrum <mestrum at skynet.be>
Date: Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:05 PM
Subject: [global social commons discussion] WSF2016 Montreal Programme
To: globalsocialcommons-discussion at lists.openfsm.net

These are the workshops we registered for the upcoming WSF in Montreal.
Please let us know who will be there and able/willing to attend/speak at
our workshops:

1.      The common as a new political subject
(Transform!, Global Social Justice, … ?)
The question of the Common is often raised for water, land, the oceans, the
forests… In recent years there is increasing interest for social commons
such as healthcare, education and other social services.

This point is also discussed in the context of the social and solidarity
economy and it has become an important part of alternatives to a
commodified society, built on private property

In this workshop we want to see how the issue of the Common is looked at in
different countries and continents. What are the common points of these
experiences?

2.      The social commons
(Global Social Justice, Transform!, Network for Transformative Social
Protection, Social Forum on Health and Social Security … ?)

Global Financial Institutions are now promoting their kind of ‘social
protection’: a minimalist programme, targeted on the poor, with purely
economic objectives and totally compatible with neoliberalism. Till now,
all over the world, most reactions are limited to a defence of the status
quo, that is the old welfare states. However, these old systems do not
satisfy all current needs anymore, especially with the important changes in
the economic system.

In  this workshop, we want to discuss two alternatives: social commons on
the one hand, a participatory and democratic way to decide on social
protection, and the universal basic income, a simple system of equal
allowances for all.

3.      Universal health and social security systems
(Social Forum on Health and Social Security, Global Social Justice, Network
for Transformative Social Protection, … ?)
In spite of all current changes in the way of thinking on social
protection, the ‘old’ way of organizing the achievement of all economic and
social rights can still be further improved, especially since the newest
trends promoted by global financial institutions are aimed at targeting the
poor.
How can we promote universal health care? How to raise awareness on the
need of this universalism and how to organize it? In this workshop will be
discussed the experiences with the political laboratories organized in
Latin America.

All the best,
Francine

--