[P2P-F] Fwd: Farming for a Small Planet: Agroecology Now (GTN Discussion)

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Fri Mar 25 07:59:02 CET 2016

Aside from agroecology (Miguel Altieri), there are many other
well-documented strands of sustainable farming.

They differ in terms of emphasis, but they are all generally
earth-friendly.

These include Korean natural farming (Han Kyu-Cho, emphasizes the role
of microorganisms and how to culture and multiply them); natural
farming/do-nothing agriculture (Masanobu Fukuoka, emphasizes minimum
labor application); permaculture (Bill Mollison and David Holmgren,
emphasizes the design of farms as ecological systems); biodynamic
farming (Rudolf Steiner, emphasizes the remote--including
cosmic--influences on farming); organic farming (IFOAM, focused on a
commonly-agreed set of written rules and standards that farmers must
observe and follow in a verifiable way); soil food web approach (Helen
Ingham, focus on aerobic soil organisms and compost teas); biointensive
gardening; etc. It is important to keep in mind and to inform the
public about this diversity, so that practitioners and beginners who
want to leave the chemical approach behind can choose the
methods/approaches that they are most comfortable with.

Roberto Verzola