No subject

Sun Mar 13 21:04:13 CET 2016

">gregwatson at centerforneweconomics.org</a>&gt;<br>
-------------------------------------------------------<br>
Dear GTI Colleagues,<br>
Frances Moore Lapp=C3=A9=E2=80=99s GTI contribution =E2=80=9CFarming for a =
Small Planet: Agroecology Now=E2=80=9D is an incredibly powerful and timely=
 articulation of an unprecedented opportunity for humanity to rescue itself=
 from itself. It comes none too soon.<br>
Her essay has a special resonance for me.<br>
Just under a year ago, I helped launched the Cuba-U.S. Agroecology Network =
(CUSAN) at the Schumacher Center for a New Economics with the goal of conne=
cting members of the Cuban and U.S. agroecology movements. We established t=
he network following a trip to Cuba in October of 2014 =E2=80=93 two months=
 before Presidents Obama and Castro announced that talks aimed at restoring=
 diplomatic relations between the two countries would commence.<br>
One month following that historic announcement, the U.S. Agriculture Coalit=
ion for Cuba (USACC) came into existence. USACC is chaired by Cargill and c=
omprised of more than 30 American agricultural trade organizations and comp=
anies. The coalition wants to open Cuba up further as a market for U.S. agr=
iculture exports. The formation of this organization was a cause for some c=
oncern among sustainable agriculture stakeholders who anticipate and fear a=
 big push to reestablish industrial farming in Cuba with all of its trappin=
gs.<br>
The Cuba-US. Agroecology Network offers an alternative face of U.S. agricul=
ture to Cuba =E2=80=93 one whose members support the incredible agroecology=
 system that emerged there out of dire necessity following the collapse of =
the Soviet Bloc. CUSAN seeks to create a venue where Cuban and U.S. agroeco=
logy advocates can learn from and collaborate with one another. Our network=
 consists of rural, suburban, and urban farmers who are committed to suppor=
ting, developing, and using ecological agricultural practices that are sust=
ainable, resilient, do not undermine the Earth&#39;s ecological integrity a=
nd meet the needs of local citizens. We are also the stakeholders who help =
make the larger food system more accommodating for sustainable farmers and =
farm products. We believe that agroecology holds the key to feeding the wor=
ld=E2=80=99s population while avoiding the worst-case climate change scenar=
io.<br>
Bringing about the systemic change that Ms. Lapp=C3=A9 advocates for so per=
suasively begins with educating both policy makers and the general public a=
bout our agroecology options. My hope is that her essay will help galvanize=
 that national dialogue.<br>
Greg Watson<br>
Schumacher Center for a New Economics<br>
Cuba-U.S. Agroecology Network<br>
_blank">www.agroecologynetwork.org</a><br>