[P2P-F] New article from Michel Bauwens

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 03:01:58 CEST 2016

This would make an AMAZING standalone blog post, Eric (with a few added
paragraph divisions). If you don't publish it anywhere else, can I use it
for C4SS?

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Eric Hunting <erichunting at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I was a child I was particularly fascinated with books like Stuart
> Little, The Borrowers, classic fairy tales, The Secret of NIMH, The
> Rescuers, and the like. Stories of little creatures that had created
> secret, hidden, civilizations within the overlooked and forgotten
> interstitial spaces of our built habitat, repurposing the detritus of our
> own civilization. In cartoons mice are always repurposing our misplaced
> stuff into some model of casual suburban living on their scale. Thimbles
> become sinks and ottomans. Thread spools become various kinds of furniture.
> Xmas lights become track lighting. Vast communities carrying on their daily
> routine unseen in the spaces behind walls, under floors, in the forgotten
> sealed-up space created as we built up our own infrastructures. Often they
> would have their own independent infrastructures. They would create
> miniature railways from toys, use pigeons as an airline, scavenge wiring
> and electronics parts from our cast-off consumer junk and create their own
> telegraph, telephone, and radio networks, all operating independently and
> in parallel to our own.
>
> Then, as I got older, I moved on to SciFi but found similar themes. There
> was Arthur C. Clarke's Rama; a vast, ancient, alien spacecraft housing a
> rotating space colony. Its creators, purpose, and destination unknown, its
> complex enigmatic systems and robots running on their own, Rama became the
> host of multiple species who simply boarded and setup shop within its vast
> space when it passed through their solar systems. They could live well by
> simply not drawing the attention of the Raman systems, exploiting the
> spaces the robots seemed to ignore, learning and exploiting their routine
> patterns of activity and behavior. Then there was Larry Niven's Ringworld.
> Another vast alien construction whose creator's original civilization
> collapsed, leaving it running on its own automated systems as they reverted
> to more primitive, fractured, societies and came to think of the ring as
> some natural or divine phenomenon.
>
> As I began to study Post-Industrial futurism I encountered Ken Isaacs' and
> the Urban Nomads of the late '60s and '70s. This brief movement was based
> on the expectation of a new youth movement emerging amidst the slow
> collapse of the Industrial Age to repurpose the urban and industrial
> detritus to facilitate a mobile lifestyle. It's from this we got the
> 'upcycling' craze, Lofting, Cargotecture, and the High-Tech design movement
> based on the repurposing of industrial goods, hardware, and cast-offs in a
> domestic context. Back in that middle third of the century futurists seemed
> quite convinced of an imminent and dramatic collapse of corporate
> capitalism, its economics, and institutions as suggested by the civil
> unrest erupting at the time, though this prediction would prove premature.
> The dinosaurs had a few last tricks up their sleeves and the oft-predicted
> [...]

Kevin Carson
Senior Fellow, Karl Hess Scholar in Social Theory

"You have no authority that we are bound to respect" -- John Perry Barlow
"We are legion. We never forgive. We never forget. Expect us" -- Anonymous

Homebrew Industrial Revolution:  A Low-Overhead Manifesto
http://homebrewindustrialrevolution.wordpress.com
Desktop Regulatory State http://desktopregulatorystate.wordpress.com