[P2P-F] Fwd: [commoning] Fundraiser : Help young OA and open science advocates from Haiti go to the World Social Forum

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jun 13 23:13:44 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Florence Piron <Florence.Piron at scienceetbiencommun.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM
Subject: [commoning] Fundraiser : Help young OA and open science advocates
from Haiti go to the World Social Forum
To: WorldSocialForum-Discuss at openspaceforum.net,
commoning at lists.commons-institut.org

Hello everyone,

I am the leader of the SOHA research-action project whose main objective is
to introduce open science and open access to Haiti and Francophone Africa.
SOHA is part of OCSDnet : <http://ocsdnet.org/projects/universite-laval/>
http://ocsdnet.org/projects/universite-laval/.

For nearly 18 months, a huge work has been done. One great outcome is the
emergence of young open access leaders in these countries. You can read
their blog posts (in French) at http://www.projetsoha.org/?page_id=60.

In Haiti in particular, as a result of our March symposium on "open science
and open access as a tool for sustainable development", a group of
undergraduate students enrolled in the State University of Haiti have
decided to establish an association promoting open access and cognitive
justice. During the last three months, they made radio broadcasts,
published blog posts and organized two training workshops, especially in
northern Haiti where they gathered a hundred students!

I organized with and for them two sessions on Open science and cognitive
justice at the next World Social Forum to be held in Montreal (August).
They will present their work, their strategy and their arguments. Our hope
is that they will thus affect students and researchers of the Global South
who will also be there. The Association Science and Common Good that I
chair will fund in solidarity their accommodation and meals, but we decided
to do a fundraiser to pay for their air tickets and visa fees.

I therefore appeal to your generosity to make that trip real. It will both
reward these students for their so effective engagement for open science,
it will boost their energy and it may radiate into the network of the World
Social Forum.

Please read the page that tells their story in more detail.

   - On our website, you'll find the paypal button that allows you to make
   your donation at limited administrative costs for us.
   <http://www.scienceetbiencommun.org/?q=node/116>
   http://www.scienceetbiencommun.org/?q=node/116
   - But if you prefer, we have also created a crowdfunding project on
   Generosity/Indiegogo :
   https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/help-young-oa-advocates-from-haiti
   -go-to-the-wsf on Indiegogo.

Counting on your commitment and generosity!

Florence Piron

responsible for project SOHA http://projetsoha.org

Laval University, Québec, Canada

Commons-Institut e.V. Germany