[P2P-F] Fwd: [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: CfP: Polanyi-Konferenz in Linz (10.-13.1.2017)

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Jan 19 14:26:26 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Orsan Senalp <orsan1234 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 7:11 PM
Subject: [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: CfP: Polanyi-Konferenz in Linz
(10.-13.1.2017)
To: "<networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>" <
networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Nikolaus Hammer <NHammer at GMX.AT>
*Date:* 19 Jan 2016 11:36:51 GMT+1
*To:* CRITICAL-LABOUR-STUDIES at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
*Subject:* *Fwd: CfP: Polanyi-Konferenz in Linz (10.-13.1.2017)*
*Reply-To:* Nikolaus Hammer <NHammer at GMX.AT>

Call for Papers
*A Great Transformation?*
*Global Perspectives on Contemporary Capitalisms*

International Conference
Johannes Kepler University
Linz/Austria
10-13 January 2017

*Concept, questions, speakers, and issues of the conference*
Ever since the global economic area opened up in the 1990s – and most
recently, in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis – Karl Polanyi’s
economic and cultural history of capitalism, published as The Great
Transformation in 1944, has been attracting renewed attention. Given his
deft analysis of the liberal creed or how he refers to labor, land, and
money as fictitious commodities, Polanyi’s critique of capitalism has never
disappeared from the discussion. However, the unleashing of the market –
and more specifically, of financial markets – has resulted in his ideas
being widely received among sociologists, political scientists, and
economists from all over the world. Polanyi’s analyses of the relationship
between economy and society, and between economy/market and politics/state
– along with his perspectives on civil society movements – all seem to be
custom-made for capturing the crises, changes, and transformations of
contemporary capitalisms. Meanwhile, Polanyi’s ideas and models have been
profusely revised, pursued, developed, and checked for appropriateness when
analyzing developments in the Global North and South. Moreover, a wealth of
answers has emerged to the question of how his particular analysis of
society may have inspired sociology, political science, and economics.
The conference A Great Transformation? Global Perspectives on Contemporary
Capitalisms seeks to continue this discussion, identify new salient points
and study the following questions: How do developments in contemporary
capitalisms in the Global North and South constitute a great
transformation, i.e. an epochal change in which the relationship between
politics/state and economy/market undergoes fundamental changes at the
global, international, transnational, and national levels? Have there been
parallel, contradictory or interwoven developments and what form do these
take? How are they shaped by social inequalities arising from gender,
ethnicity and class, by power and dominance, and by conflict and
resistance? How can all these developments be considered in light of Karl
Polanyi’s The Great Transformation? How do other analyses of and theories
on capitalism rooted in sociology, political science, and economics
contribute to social analysis and criticism? Where do they interlink with
Polanyi’s perspective and where do they take different paths? All these
questions will be thoroughly discussed at this interdisciplinary
international conference.

The conference will start with an opening speech by *Michael Burawoy*,
University of California, Berkeley/USA, and conclude with his on-stage
conversation with *Kari Polanyi Levitt*, McGill University,
Montreal/Canada. Keynote speakers will be *José Luis Coraggio*, Universidad
Nacional de General Sarmiento, Buenos Aires/Argentina and *Beverly Silver*,
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore/USA.

With this call for papers, we are inviting potential participants to submit
proposals related to Karl Polanyi’s work, under one of the following three
headings:
Beginning with Polanyi
Under this heading, we will use Polanyi’s models and analyses as starting
points for discussing the question of how to theoretically,
epistemologically, and empirically utilize them when analyzing contemporary
capitalisms. We welcome proposals that address one or more of the following
issues:
 (De-)commodification and fictitious commodities
 Economy and society: the liberal creed
 Movements and counter-movements
 Marketization, exploitation and alienation
 Exchange, markets and justice
Meeting Polanyi
Under this heading, we will discuss Polanyi’s theory in conjunction with
other approaches. As all these concepts are embedded in specific
scientific, historical and regional contexts, we will examine their
validity as theoretical perspectives and tools for analyzing contemporary
capitalisms. We welcome proposals that address one or more of the following
issues:
 Regulation theory meets Polanyi
 Marxian theory meets Polanyi
 Critical theory meets Polanyi
 Critical development theory and world systems analysis meet Polanyi
 Social movement theory meets Polanyi
After Polanyi
Under this heading, we will take a look at social problems that call for a
contemporary analysis of capitalism. We will show how these challenges can
be accepted and how
Polanyi’s work contributes to meeting said challenges. We welcome proposals
that address one or more of the following issues:
 Commodification and de-commodification of ecological and social
reproduction
 Fictitious commodities: marketization of knowledge and science
 Politics of crisis: the enduring strength of neoliberalism and the
welfare debate
 Conceptions of capitalist crises and pathways towards transformation
 De-growth and democracy

*Addressees and conference language*
With this call for papers, we are inviting scholars from all parts of the
world and all branches of sociology, political science, and economics –
including those working in such transdisciplinary research areas as
feminist or intersectionality studies – to submit proposals under the three
headings outlined above. The conference will be held in English.
Schedules for submitting abstracts and full papers
We welcome abstracts limited to a maximum of 500 words (including the
title, outline of the contents, at least three but no more than five
keywords, author’s name, affiliation, and full address). We are endeavoring
to provide financial support to applicants whose universities, research
institutes, etc. are unable to fund travel costs and who have no
opportunity to apply for funds elsewhere. Applicants who wish to make use
of this offer are asked to state this in their abstract.

*Deadline for submitting abstracts: 30 April 2016*
Notification of acceptance: 30 June 2016
Deadline for submitting full papers: 30 November 2016
Please send your abstracts and full papers to *great.transformation at jku.at
<https://email.le.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=sQZT95NmfaS2rnyCgWKr7kGbhnYtH4-PCqWDE5cW3YH1_W0ovCDTCG0AYQBpAGwAdABvADoAZwByAGUAYQB0AC4AdAByAGEAbgBzAGYAbwByAG0AYQB0AGkAbwBuAEAAagBrAHUALgBhAHQA&URL=mailto%3agreat.transformation%40jku.at>*

*Organizers and hosts of the conference*
DFG-Kollegforscher_innengruppe „Landnahme, Beschleunigung, Aktivierung.
Dynamik und (De-)Stabilisierung moderner Wachstumsgesellschaften“,
Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena/Germany (Klaus Dörre)
Institute for Comprehensive Analysis of the Economy, Johannes Kepler
University, Linz/Austria (Jakob Kapeller)
Institute of Political Science, University of Vienna/Austria (Ulrich Brand,
Birgit Sauer, Dieter Segert)
Institute of Sociology, Johannes Kepler University, Linz/Austria (Roland
Atzmüller, Brigitte Aulenbacher, Fabienne Décieux, Karin Fischer;
conference administration: Heidemarie Schütz)
Conference homepage: http://www.jku.at/conferences/great-transformation
<https://email.le.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=fYzTFPLAfpf9Kd5CPzVRSNVb9bUjiy0WvIvuqzAvq2n1_W0ovCDTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBqAGsAdQAuAGEAdAAvAGMAbwBuAGYAZQByAGUAbgBjAGUAcwAvAGcAcgBlAGEAdAAtAHQAcgBhAG4AcwBmAG8AcgBtAGEAdABpAG8AbgA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.jku.at%2fconferences%2fgreat-transformation>

<CfP International Polanyi Conference Austria January 2017.pdf>

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/