[P2P-F] [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: P2P and the economic calculation problem

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Jan 12 09:44:35 CET 2016

dear Bob,

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Bob Haugen <bob.haugen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought Ackerman's article was excellent, although I am not sure how
> much of it I agree with. He gets into a lot more detail about the problems
> of Soviet planning than I usually see in such articles.
>
> I added some sources to the quotes in the Discussion of the cited P2P
> page: http://p2pfoundation.net/Economic_Calculation_Problem#Discussion
>
> (There were no quotes from Jean-Daniel Cusin in that section, so I took
> him out.)
>
> I'm thinking about Ackerman's ideas about "a form of socialized finance
> which would respect the autonomy of the firm." I think it might help, but I
> don't know how we would get it to happen. Which is the problem with a lot
> of "good ideas", including those of the P2PF. They would require a
> non-existent organization to take over from our present rulers. (P2PF is a
> bit more realistic than Ackerman, but still...)

I am puzzled by your point here. I think the logic is very different. The
proposal of Ackerman are a proposal for a political program that needs to
win power first, but the great majority of the proposals of the p2p
foundation are already working (it's the rule for the wiki, it has to
exist), though they may need politics to be scaled and generalize.

Of course, i have a few proposals which call for new institutions, but they
are happening as well (phyles, assemblies and chambers of the commons);
stigmergy and transparency between entrepreneurial coalitions is happening
as well

so which proposals do you mean exactly, dear Bob ?

> I do have a question for Michel, though: P2PF says, "*To qualify as
> stigmergy, agents cannot communicate directly with one another, but rather
> must engage indirectly via a medium*."

actually, I disagree with that statement,  the signalling stigmergy does
not at all exclude additional layers of person to person communication, as
is standard in all open source projects .. stigmergy never happens alone,
as human are communicating their intentions all the time

> I have maintained that the actual signals by which the advanced capitalist
> supply chains coordinate their physical production and transportation are
> valid precursors to, and directly usable by, a very different economic
> system. They do not depend at all on prices. Those signals are always
> through a medium, but sometimes indirect (as between agents who do not
> directly coordinate with each other) and sometimes direct (the agents do
> coordinate directly with each other, but use messages via some medium to do
> so). Do those direct signals between coordinating agents qualify for
> stigmergy?

see above, if you give an expanded definition of stigmergy, which I think
is appropriate, then yes. COULD YOU PLEASE write a full article on this !!
We really need to make that argument formally as part of our mutual
coordination proposals. Can you educate us about this path forward.

> And re Ackerman: from reading, and also working with an ex-Soviet planner
> on a software project, I have concluded that the main problems with Soviet
> planning were ideological, not technical. The bosses of the nominally
> state-owned enterprises treated those enterprises as their own businesses,
> and regularly subverted the plans. Those bosses were eager to become the
> new oligarchs when Russia's system converted to capitalism.
>
> Likewise, if you read between the lines of the fascinating Red Plenty
> book, the failures to adopt computerized planning were political and
> ideological, not technical. Likewise the problems of quality and fitness
> for use were ideological, not technical.
>
> By "ideological", I mean world view, your consciousness determined by your
> social being. I don't have the quote handy, but Marx talked a lot about the
> people in the new system being indoctrinated in the thinking of the old. So
> for capitalism, the individual ideology is "me first", and the social
> ideology is domination and subordination.  "Me first" can subvert any
> plans, Ackerman's or anybody else's. So a new system cannot be developed
> just with technical and organizational ideas, however good. Ideological
> transformation will be necessary, and that is the hard part.

absolutely agree, I have seen this numerous times, 'solutions' are only
accepted if they serve material interests

ok, to help you write that article, see:
http://p2pfoundation.net/How_Current_Supply_Chains_Can_Serve_Broader_Mutual_Coordination

end of my remarks

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/