[P2P-F] Fwd: Paper : Producing Anxiety in the Neoliberal University

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Jan 5 08:54:51 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM
Subject: Paper : Producing Anxiety in the Neoliberal University
To: "econowmix at googlegroups.com" <econowmix at googlegroups.com>, "
op-n-m at googlegroups.com" <op-n-m at googlegroups.com>

https://www.academia.edu/19714927/Producing_Anxiety_in_the_Neoliberal_University

*Producing Anxiety in the Neoliberal University *

*This paper presents a theoretical analysis of the neoliberal production of
anxiety in academic faculty members in universities in Northern Europe. The
paper focuses on neoliberalization as it is instantiated through audit and
ranking systems designed to produce academia as a space of economic
efficiency and intensifying competition. We suggest that powerful forms of
competition and ranking of academic performance have been developed in
Northern Europe. These systems are differentiated and differentiating, and
they serve to both index and facilitate the neoliberalization of the
academy. Moreover, these audit and ranking systems produce an ongoing sense
of anxiety among academic workers. We argue that neoliberalism in the
academy is part of a wider system of anxiety production arising as part of
the so-called "soft governance" of everything, including life itself, in
contemporary late liberalism.*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/