[P2P-F] Fwd: Bo-Kaap and Riebeek Square, Cape Town under threat - please help!

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Feb 9 16:07:14 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anna Cowen <anna at meshfield.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:55 PM
Subject: Bo-Kaap and Riebeek Square, Cape Town under threat - please help!

Dear friends and lovers of our beautiful city Cape Town

Hope you are all well and thriving!

I am part of a group of people living in the Bo-Kaap who are organising a
resistance  against a massive proposed new development on the edges of the
Bo-Kaap between Buitengracht and Rose, Shortmarket and Longmarket, on the
edge of Riebeeck Square. It is grossly overscaled - 20 stories high, 250
apartments, 5000 m2 of retail and commercial and 3 basements levels of
parking. A "supersized" building.... ! It is double the size of anything
else in the area.

If approved it will irrevocably undermine and erode a very special part of
our city. We also view this as part of a wider and worrying city wide trend
towards enclosure and erasure of our common wealth - public land, culture,
heritage, social networks.

We have set up a website -  www.bridgesnotbarriers.co.za - . where you can
find out more information, and fill in an objection form.

Deadlines for objections are Thursday 18 February (that's next Thursday).

If these issues move or interest you, please take a quick look and support
us and our city through objecting on the website.

Please also share the weblink as widely as you can.

Warmly,

Anna

Anna Cowen

*M  e  s  h  f  i  e  l  d*