[P2P-F] Fwd: Galicia/Northern Portugal; this winter

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Dec 29 09:21:37 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mathijs de Bruin <mathijs at dsrp.eu>
Date: Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:31 AM
Subject: Galicia/Northern Portugal; this winter

Dear friends,

As you might know, by now, after two years of intense travelling it is now
time to ‘settle down’. At least for a while, potentially permanently. It
is, as of now, our intention to rent a large house in the countryside of
Galicia or Northern Portugal starting February for at least 3 months. The
house would be big enough for you to join, or there will be the possibility
to rent neighbouring property.

The idea is to create a temporary community, in preperation of a permanent
settlement. There, or somewhere else. It would be an intense (but peaceful,
tranquil) period of deepening understanding of the local environment, of
exploration of actual community formation and the concretisation of ‘what
we would be doing there’. Creating roadmaps, connecting people and
initiative, getting acquaintant with the land, people and local
governments. Exploring funding options, (regenerative) business models
based on social, economic and ecological emancipation. All that plus
everything The Good Life has to offer; plenty of time, play and imagination.

As there are many places to consider (there are similarly abandoned
ruralities in most sides of the continent), I have found myself forced to
pick one. Amongst reasons, the current choice ‘felt good’. Moreover,
particularly Northern Portugal has some favorable conditions:

- Wet climate (reduced risk of desertification)
- Open culture (internationally oriented, warm towards foreign elements)
- Sustainable policy (conservation of natural resources, seperating
garbage, profitability of solar)
- Good connectivity (4G widely available, cheap)
- Airports and cities nearby (Porto, Vigo)
- Affordable (some of the lowest land/house prices of the E.U.)

Concretely, we hope to make living in this temporary settlement possible on
a cost-sharing basis, where costs for ‘good living’ (housing, food, drinks,
internet, occasional transport) should round up to a total of about € 300
per person (depending on circumstances). We aim for people staying either a
few days or a minimum of one month, to ascertain some stability in the
social dynamics.

We, at this point me and my partner Irina, will be driving toward Galicia
at the start of Februari. Having arrived, we hope to find a furnitured
house within several weeks, the scale and details of which depend, partly,
on your pledges and/or entausiasm for the project.

If you are enthusiastic, interested, have questions or think this *really*
is the wrong way, don’t hesitate to contact us. We love to talk and greatly
appreciate your feedback.

Warm regards,
Mathijs

P.S. Should you know of any rural villa’s or appartments for mid- or
long-term rent in the *North* of Portugal or in Galicia, let us know!

—
Decentralized Society Research Project
http://dsrp.eu / http://dsrp.eu/hackpad
mathijs at dsrp.eu