[P2P-F] Fwd: Here we are with Grassroots Economics - Kenya 2016

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Dec 21 09:48:32 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Will Ruddick <willruddick at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:49 PM
Subject: Here we are with Grassroots Economics - Kenya 2016
To: will at grassrootseconomics.org

Dear Friend of Grassroots Economics,

Happy holidays!

We're seeing the power of community currencies in developing thriving
communities
and prospering economies. This year has been exciting for Grassroots
Economics Foundation and for Community Currencies in Kenya. With a largely
volunteer staff, we've doubled our capacity to over 1000 small business
users and 20 schools, and are trading over 100,000 EUR worth of community
currency yearly in 5 networks across Kenya. We're seeing people able to
accept 30% of their goods and services in Community Currency and equivalent
increases to their sales in Kenyan Shillings.

We've been honored by documentaries
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbRPKiR_R8g> (Please watch if you haven't
already. 1st minute in Dutch then English), media & research
<http://grassrootseconomics.org/media> and awards
<http://grassrootseconomics.org/accolades-for-Sarafu-Credit-June>, this
year, but failed to find the support needed to really grow as a non-profit
foundation. We're seeking matching funds to fulfill a challenge grant from
Stichting DOEN, for a June 2017 deadline, but have so far failed to reach
our targets. If you are able to support us or can recommend personal
connections (rather than general calls for proposals), please continue to
push us toward sustainability.

In order to reach sustainability we are considering, in early 2017,
adopting a hybrid social-venture structure by creating Grassroots Economics
Limited in order to generate revenue and investment needed to grow. GE
Limited would focus on one of the key parts of the Foundation - developing
and managing environmentally-sound import-replacing cooperative businesses
in community currency networks. We've made headway, but there is a huge
amount of work and support needed to get there! Here is our yearly report
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhip9zsjf18i8ue/GE-2016-Report.pdf?dl=0> - we would
really love to hear your advice as we move forward!

A short video of photos taken of Community Currency users in 2016, from
over 2000 field visits. <https://youtu.be/G4tQfDMAmF8>

Have a wonderful holiday and healthy 2017!

Sincerely,

-Will

William O. Ruddick
Founder - Grassroots Economics Foundation, http://grassrootseconomics.org
Country Director - Green World Campaign - Kenya, http://greenworld.org
Doctoral Candidate in Economics at the University of Cape Town
http://www.efdinitiative.org/south-africa
Associate Scholar - Univ. Cumbria - IFLAS, http://iflas.info
mobile. +254-(0)727806655
skype: will.ruddick