[P2P-F] Fwd: When things fall apart, we come together.

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Dec 15 08:00:16 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Janelle Orsi, Executive Director, SELC <janelle at theselc.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 4:51 AM
Subject: When things fall apart, we come together.
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

Click here to support our work and help us close a $20,000 funding gap this
year.
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftheselc.org%2Fgive&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=1>

Michel --

If you’re like most people, you’ve had a mix of emotions since Election
Day. Some combination of “Nooooo,” “Aaaaaaaaugh,” and “Ok, let’s get to
work” seems to sum up a lot of what I’ve been hearing.

It may seem like we face problems of unfathomable dimensions in a sharply
divided political climate, *but here’s an important reminder: Most
solutions are local in dimension and practical in nature*. Across the
political spectrum, communities want to look around and see thriving local
farms, vibrant small businesses, good workplaces, and stable housing. It
hardly feels political, because it’s just practical!

The election results prompted a good deal of reflection at Sustainable
Economies Law Center, and *now we are more driven than ever to make our
vision of more just and resilient local economies a reality across the
country*. If we search for the root of extremism, racism, and other -isms
exaggerated in our recent election, I believe we would find feelings of
powerlessness and fear. The Law Center’s work gets to that root by building
power at the community level and creating stable local economies that
provide for people in the long-term. We are:

*1. Localizing livelihoods*: We work to give everyone control over their
own livelihoods. In 2017, our Law Center will work to legalize homemade
meal businesses and small compost enterprises. We are also helping protect
small businesses across the U.S. by supporting their conversion to worker
cooperatives as aging owners retire.

*2. Creating permanent housing, farmland, and energy*: In our quest for
stable futures, many people are drawn to the concept of “permanence.” While
nothing is truly permanent, the Law Center is using innovative legal
structures to protect important community assets – housing, farmland, and
renewable energy – to ensure that everyone has access in the long-term.

*3. Bringing our money home*: The Law Center is helping channel that money
out of extractive Wall Street investments and into local enterprises,
farms, and housing. We are advocating for policies and supporting new
community-based financial organizations to make this possible.

*4. Building power for everyone*: We want every person to have power to
shape their own workplaces, neighborhoods, and communities. The Law Center
is spreading models and resources for workplace democracy and we are
training everyday people to shape public policy. True democracy means that
everyone is a policymaker!
This is a pivotal moment in history. *When things seem to fall apart,
people are also motivated to come together.* You have supported our vision
in the past. Will you help us deepen our work across the country by making
another contribution today?
<http://www.theselc.org/give?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=2>*
Our
work is only possible with your support*!

*We need to raise $20,000 this December to close a budget shortfall and
continue our work in 2017. *If every one of our supporters gave $3.60 right
now, we'd reach our goal!

[image: Donate Today]
<https://theselc.nationbuilder.com/give?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=3>

We have so much gratitude for your past and future support!

Janelle Orsi, Executive Director, SELC, Co-founder and Executive Director
http://www.theselc.org/
<http://www.theselc.org/?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=4>

Here's what we were able to do this year with your support:

[image: 2016 Annual Report]
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net%2Ftheselc%2Fpages%2F903%2Fattachments%2Foriginal%2F1481237250%2F2016SELCAR.pdf%3F1481237250&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=5>
-=-=-

Sustainable Economies Law Center · 2323 Broadway, #203, Oakland, CA 94612,
United States
This email was sent to michel at p2pfoundation.net. To stop receiving
emails, click
here
<http://www.theselc.org/unsubscribe?e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=6>.

You can also keep up with Janelle Orsi, Executive Director, SELC on Twitter
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FJanelleOrsi&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=7>.

-=-=-

Created with NationBuilder
<http://www.theselc.org/r?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnationbuilder.com&e=5af0fb96cc323505133b237ae4b8287128238f30&utm_source=theselc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eoy_2017&n=8>,