[P2P-F] Fwd: 20 Republican Electoral College voters are considering flipping ...

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:50:06 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jerome Glenn <jglenn at igc.org>
Date: Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:37 PM
Subject: 20 Republican Electoral College voters are considering flipping ...
To: Kirstin Elaine Martin <kirstin at sparx3.com>
Cc: Hazel Henderson <hazel.henderson at ethicalmarkets.com>, Michael Hopkins <
mjdhopkins at mhcinternational.com>, Jean Gaddy Wilson <jeangaddywilson at aol.com>,
"Lippin, Richard A. MD" <ralippin at aol.com>, Jeremy Leggett <
jeremy.leggett at solarcentury.com>, Anders Wijkman <anders at wijkman.se>,
Graeme Maxton <secgen at clubofrome.org>, "Garry Jacobs, World Academy of Art
& Science" <garry.jacobs at worldacademy.org>, Mila Popovich <
milapopovich at gmail.com>, Michaela Walsh <mahalia935 at gmail.com>, Judith
Moyers <moyersj at moyersmedia.com>, "David E. Martin" <dem at m-cam.com>,
"Bauwens, Michel" <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, "Jones, Joy V. Esq." <
joyvjones at aol.com>, "Barcena, Alicia" <Alicia.BARCENA at cepal.org>, David
Berry <Davidberry at aol.com>, yul anderson <yul69 at yahoo.com>, Jerroll Sanders
<jerrollms at yahoo.com>, "Malveaux, Julianne" <jmnia at aol.com>, Juan Carlos
Castilla-Rubio <jc at planetaryskin.org>, Rosalinda Sanquiche <
rsanquiche at hotmail.com>, "Baskin, Roberta" <roberta_baskin at yahoo.com>,
Wendy Stephenson <wendystephenson at theconvergingworld.org>

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/310309-
harvard-professor-says-gop-electors-are-close-to-blocking-trump

*BY BROOKE SEIPEL - **12/13/16 09:19 PM EST*

Harvard University law professor Larry Lessig said Tuesday that 20
Republican Electoral College voters are considering flipping to vote
against Donald Trump <http://thehill.com/people/donald-trump>, more than
half the number of anti-Trump votes needed to stall the president-elect
from being sworn into office.

"Obviously, whether an elector ultimately votes his or her conscience will
depend in part upon whether there are enough doing the same. We now believe
there are more than half the number needed to change the result seriously
considering making that vote," Lessig told Politico
<http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-electors-lessig-232598?cmpid=sf>
.

Lessig has been offering free legal counsel to "faithless electors" who are
considering casting a ballot for an alternative candidate as opposed to
Trump, who earned 306 electoral votes on Election Day, well above the
necessary 270.

The claim that as many as 20 GOP electors would vote against Trump and the
wishes of a majority of voters in their states flies against other reports.

Only a few voters have publicly said they will not back the results of
their home states, and virtually every GOP elector reached by The Hill
<http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/310287-electoral-college-voters-under-intense-pressure>
said
they will vote enthusiastically for Trump.

Politico, citing GOP sources, reported that a Republican whip operation
found only one elector, Chris Suprun of Texas, would vote against Trump.

Suprun announced
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/opinion/why-i-will-not-cast-my-electoral-vote-for-donald-trump.html>
in
a Dec. 5 op-ed in The New York Times that he would not vote for Trump.

So-called faithless electors are also a relatively rare occurrence in the
Electoral College.

Only 82 electors in U.S. history have voted against their state's popular
vote. None of those changed the outcome of an election.

Electors will cast their ballots on Monday.

*This story was updated at 9:30 a.m. *