[P2P-F] Fwd: [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: Federation to hold its 49th Annual Meeting on August 18-20, 2016

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Aug 14 06:09:39 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Haugen <bob.haugen at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM
Subject: [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: Federation to hold its 49th Annual Meeting
on August 18-20, 2016
To: "networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org" <networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org

A little history for y'all.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund <
ebonithomas at federation.coop>
Date: Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 7:47 PM
Subject: Federation to hold its 49th Annual Meeting on August 18-20, 2016
To: bob.haugen at gmail.com

Please Join Us in Birmingham and Epes, Alabama
*Federation of Southern Cooperatives*
*Land Assistance Fund*

* For Immediate Release: August 11, 2016 Contact: Eboni Thomas
ebonithomas at federation.coop <ebonithomas at federation.coop> 404 765 0991
<404%20765%200991> www.federation.coop
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001EHlG8AHLF2wLQyDBCPEq0VJ81U_WTnPlqO1jX_cZuEhxMrRBhBJGswl-rXuuitvlQ8HCO3iJTQFuSYPuN1S7ZqNUi20iPGwUCxaebgVBGXKcHUxaVZd_xHq3wAfsl-h_l7BR51EtBk3J5OBIrtTNyUzvoEXdSKyEX2RmeHMzqG4=&c=yYhHe-cTGW-L2WrD2v7JzgJIVY1n3wgdeScHXkx7bMtfymrcCIqlaw==&ch=afWgBNklcolQ0OcGQXLxOFRwUOBiqPf0os5K75Ynjgv_nLcy1i6PRQ==>
*

* Federation to hold its 49th Annual Meeting on August 18-20, 2016Please
Join Us in Birmingham and Epes, Alabama  *
*ATLANTA...*The Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund
will hold its 49th Annual Meeting next week, from August 18 to 20, 2016.
The Federation is the primary organization working with Black farmers and
landowners in rural communities across the South and operates a Rural
Training and Research Center near Epes, Alabama, in Sumter County.

         The theme of the meeting is *"A Legacy of Hope, Vision and
Collective Wealth Building"*. According to Cornelius Blanding, Federation
Executive Director, "*Our theme speaks to almost half a century of work and
progress in developing cooperatives and credit unions in economically
distressed communities, assisting Black farmers and landowners to retain
and utilize their land, and advocating for progressive public policies to
improve the lives of our membership in rural communities.*"

         The Annual Meeting begins on Thursday, August 18, 2016 at the
Sheraton Civic Center Hotel in Birmingham, Alabama with a Board of
Directors meeting, roundtables of supporters and the 15th annual Estelle
Witherspoon Lifetime Achievement Award Banquet.

         "*This award is named for a founding member of the Federation, who
was Manager of the Freedom Quilting Bee in Wilcox County, Alabama. This
year we are honoring three veteran civil rights workers:** David "Dave" J.
Dennis, Sr., Robert "Bob" Moses, and Hollis Watkins Muhammad. These three
played an instrumental role in organizing, guiding and implementing the
'1964 Freedom Summer Project' in Mississippi. They also helped to develop
local Black community leaders who formed some of the cooperatives that
played a role in the creation of the Federation in 1967,*" said Blanding.

         David "Dave" J. Dennis, Sr. from Louisiana was the Director of the
Mississippi Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) and Co-Director with Bob
Moses of COFO and the Mississippi Summer Project.After working in the civil
rights movement in Mississippi and Louisiana, he received a law degree from
the University of Michigan Law School. He opened a law office in Lafayette,
Louisiana. Father A. J. McKnight and the Southern Cooperative Development
Fund were among his clients. At a SNCC reunion in 1989, he reunited with
Bob Moses and set up the Southern Office of the Algebra Project.

          Robert "Bob" Parris Moses was the leader of the Student
Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) who established SNCC Mississippi
Project in 1961. He was a Co-Director of COFO, which developed the 1964
Mississippi Summer Project and helped to form the Mississippi Freedom
Democratic Party, which challenged the all-white Mississippi Delegation to
the 1964 Democratic Convention. More recently Bob Moses developed the
nationwide Algebra Project to enhance teaching of mathematics to minority
students based on broad based community organizing and collaboration with
parents, teachers and students.

         Hollis Watkins Muhammad is also a SNCC activist in Mississippi. He
was involved  with the 1964 Freedom Summer and Mississippi Freedom
Democratic Party activities. He was a founder of Southern Echo, which
shared office space with the Mississippi Association of Co-ops in Jackson,
MS. He is also the founder and President of Mississippi Veterans of the
Civil Rights Movement.

         On Friday and Saturday, August 19 and 20, the Annual Meeting
shifts to the Federation's Rural Training and Research Center near Epes,
Alabama.

         On Friday there will be a series of workshops on agriculture,
forestry and cooperative development, including participation by
representatives of USDA agencies explaining their programs and services.
The Friday sessions will end with a fish fry, auction and entertainment.

         Saturday's program begins with a Prayer Breakfast and continues
with board reports, the Executive Directors report, state caucuses and a
membership business meeting to chart the future directions for the
organization.

         Blanding said,
*"As we complete this meeting, we will begin planning for the Federation's
Fiftieth (50th) Annual Meeting in August 2017. This will be a great
milestone for our organization and we welcome suggestions from the
membership, supporters and the public on how to make it memorable and
successful."    *
For more information about the meeting and registration details or the
events, go to the Federation's website at www.federation.coop
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001EHlG8AHLF2wLQyDBCPEq0VJ81U_WTnPlqO1jX_cZuEhxMrRBhBJGswl-rXuuitvlQ8HCO3iJTQFuSYPuN1S7ZqNUi20iPGwUCxaebgVBGXKcHUxaVZd_xHq3wAfsl-h_l7BR51EtBk3J5OBIrtTNyUzvoEXdSKyEX2RmeHMzqG4=&c=yYhHe-cTGW-L2WrD2v7JzgJIVY1n3wgdeScHXkx7bMtfymrcCIqlaw==&ch=afWgBNklcolQ0OcGQXLxOFRwUOBiqPf0os5K75Ynjgv_nLcy1i6PRQ==>
or contact our offices in Epes (205/652-9676) or Atlanta (404/765-0273).
###
Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund, 2769 Church Street
, East Point, GA 30344
SafeUnsubscribeâ„¢ bob.haugen at gmail.com
<https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001itRRQWJwDa-_fzjbfhAW7w%3D%3D&ch=7e6fc710-5113-11e3-9609-d4ae528ed502&ca=3de4894d-999b-46cd-b566-68d635fbcac7>
Forward email