[P2P-F] another argument on UBI

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Aug 10 05:08:08 CEST 2016

see:

Now what's that called when the poorest are taxed at higher rates than the
rich? Oh right... regressive taxation.

A big part of the problem with our existing system is that people by and
large have no idea just how fucked up it is. The very idea of targeted
assistance is flawed because of everyone it leaves out, and because of the
stigma it creates, and because of the huge marginal tax rates it introduces
when clawed back as punishment for employment.

If it's one thing I've learned from studying one thing like basic income in
great depth, it's that I realize now just how full of shit so many articles
I read about other things other than basic income must be for shit like
this to be published in outlets like The Guardian, The New York Times, The
Economist, and more.

If you're curious about the source of my numbers, here:
http://www.scottsantens.com/will-replacing-current-benefits-with-cash-tomorrow-leave-todays-recipients-better-or-worse-off-basic-income-single-parents-welfare

Also yes, this all varies from state to state but that is also a big part
of the problem. In Wyoming, 1% of those living under the federal poverty
line receive TANF. That means replacing TANF with UBI in Wyoming would be
an improvement for 99% of those living in poverty in Wyoming.

More about TANF: http://www.scottsantens.com/tanf-is-terrible

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/